PDA

View Full Version : Composite Siding

John Stephenson
07-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Vince Santos
07-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Often, I'll see the bottom of the composite siding with a 1x band board due to previous repairs for rot damage.

Do you all note the band board? Do you make and further recommendations? I have been saying this in my reports:

The bottom of the composite siding has 1x band-board installed which indicates probable previous repairs (consult with homeowner). The top of 1x band-board can pond water and allow water to drain behind the 1x band-board and causing potential water intrusion into wall cavity. Recommend appropriate repairs to prevent water from penetrating behind the 1x-band board.

Is this dumb? Too much? Overkill? Wrong thinking?

I think it's a good idea. One can never be too safe in this profession.

wayne soper
07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
There should be a flashing if the banding board is set on top and not under the siding layer above.Which would cure the rotten pooling problems.

Jerry Peck
07-02-2007, 04:43 PM
There should be a flashing if the banding board is set on top and not under the siding layer above.Which would cure the rotten pooling problems.

I'll re-phrase that to: The banding board should NOT be set *on top* of the siding.

The flashing, if installed correctly, will go up behind the siding above and down and out over the band trim, turning downward. The siding should also have at least 1/4" gap (maybe even more) between the bottom of the siding and the 'Z' flashing.

If flashed that way, the band (trim) piece is no longer 'on top' of the siding, the siding behind it is simply 'a shim' used to add an architectural depth to it.

Of course, though, *the damaged siding* should have been cut out and replaced - meaning that to do it properly, there is no siding 'to go on top of' ... its been removed. :)