PDA

View Full Version : water heater inspection

Jon Errickson
04-09-2010, 07:40 AM
I was inspecting a gas water heater (Richmond, 2003). I turned the temp up a little (not all the way) so I could see the burner fire and see inside the burner chamber. I left the temp up for a few minutes b/c I wanted to listen for anything knocking. After a few minutes water started leaking out the discharge pipe connected to the TPR valve. I opened the hot water at the laundry tub to relieve the pressure and turned the temp on the water heater back down and it stopped leaking. Is this typical or does this mean there's a problem with the TPR valve?

Wayne Carlisle
04-09-2010, 07:47 AM
If the TPR valve has been tested quite a few times it could have some trash in it or the spring could be weak.

I would recommend having an experienced/qualified plumber to replace the valve.

mike huntzinger
04-09-2010, 10:10 AM
sand can get under the rubber seat , try blasting water through the TPR a few times

Tony Watson
04-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Sounds like the TPR valve is acting as the thremal-expansion device.

Ron Bibler
04-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Sounds like it done... Call for a plumber...

I don't mess with things like that. If they start some kind of a problem?

Ouch...

Best

Ron

Robert Hronek
04-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Hard water build up stops them from reseating. I would never open a TPR that I didint intend on replacing.

Jon Errickson
04-12-2010, 08:30 AM
just to clarify -- I didn't open the TPR valve. I just turned the temp up at the dial so I could get a look at the flame and burner chamber. After the temp was up for a few minutes, that's when it started leaking.

How do other people inspect water heaters?

Matt Fellman
04-12-2010, 09:10 AM

Wash my hands :)

Sounds like a worn/faulty TPR valve - it's a $10 fix.

I turn them up sometimes if I'm suspect of some other problem and want to watch it run. Usually, gas ones kick on at some point while I'm doing something else and I can watch/hear it go through a cycle.

Robert Hronek
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
just to clarify -- I didn't open the TPR valve. I just turned the temp up at the dial so I could get a look at the flame and burner chamber. After the temp was up for a few minutes, that's when it started leaking.

Soundslike the TPR was doing its job -released excess pressure. You turned it up and increased the pressure which trip the relief. When operating at a lower temp this has not been a problem. If they were to run it at a higher temp then they may need an expansion tank.

I would let the homeowner know it tripped and tell them to keep an eye on it.

Jon Errickson
04-12-2010, 09:53 AM
I think in the future I may not turn the temp up, but just run the hot water for a bit until the water heater kicks on. Thanks for all the responses.

For my own info: if you're replacing the TPR valve do you have to drain the tank or just run the TPR until no more water comes out? Then just switch it for another, right?

Rick Cantrell
04-12-2010, 01:04 PM
"I think in the future I may not turn the temp up, but just run the hot water for a bit until the water heater kicks on."

That sounds like a good idea.

"For my own info: if you're replacing the TPR valve do you have to drain the tank or just run the TPR until no more water comes out? Then just switch it for another, right?"

Thats about it.
Oh, sometimes the drain will break or continue to leak also.
However, it sounds to me as though the TPR NEEDED replacing.
Learn how to say "Failed under test".

Jim Robinson
04-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Any chance it was a boiler RV, instead of a WH TPR? They will release at 30 PSI. I don't normally read the fine print, although it's probably a good idea. They look very similar to people, and if they put in the WH themselves, I could see that happening. Most come with a TPR valve already, but I don't know if they all do.