PDA

View Full Version : Flash freeze "A" coil

Scott Patterson
04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
I was able to capture an "A" coil freezing over yesterday. The first picture is after about 5 minutes of the unit running. The second picture is after 20 minutes!

Jim Luttrall
04-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Do you know what caused it? Lack of air flow?

Rick Hurst
04-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Scott,

They'll freeze up like over time if the panel cover is left off.

rick

Scott Patterson
04-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Scott,

They'll freeze up like over time if the panel cover is left off.

rick

Yep, they will. This was a manufactured home and I was removing the cover on the unit to take the picture and then replacing the cover.

As for the cause? The coils were clogged with crud and air could not blow through them is my best guess. Even when I had the heat on earlier the air flow was very very low. Yes, the filter was clean..... It was like they just took it out of the package! ;)

Robert Foster
04-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Do you always remove access covers as a regular part of your inspection or did poor performance pique your curiosity and cause you to look inside?

Thanks.

Paul Kondzich
04-10-2010, 05:39 PM
You know that you can send liquid refrigerant back to the compressor in a situation like that. Last time I checked you cant compress a liquid.

Scott Patterson
04-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Do you always remove access covers as a regular part of your inspection or did poor performance pique your curiosity and cause you to look inside?

Thanks.

If it does not involve the removal of screws, bolts, nuts, etc., Yes, I do!

On this unit you need to remove the access panel to access the filter, so it is made for the owner to access the innards of the unit.