PDA

View Full Version : Air condition line

Ryan Stouffer
04-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Hello everyone. Does anyone know if this is allowed or correct? The air compressor refrigeration line has been run along the roof/wall intersection of the home. I have never seen it installed this way. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Stouffer
04-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Has anyone had a chance to take a look at this?

Thanks,

Ryan

Billy Stephens
04-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Has anyone had a chance to take a look at this?

Thanks,

Ryan
I don't see a problem.
* other than the screws through the shingles on the supports.

Bruce Ramsey
04-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Seems tacky but no problem.

Around here when houses are retrofit with new line sets, they usually run the lines through a false downspout. Lines come out of attic wall and pass into a downspout. Downspout ends couple feet from the ground and the lines run horizontally to the exterior units.

People are used to seeing downspouts and don't notice that there are two downspouts at a corner. Affords some basic protection to the lines.

Ron Bibler
04-16-2010, 09:08 PM
You may want to call out the heat that can come off the shingle and damage the insulation around the lines. along with the screws in the shingles.

Any one have any temp that this insulation can be subject to?

Best

Ron

David Bell
04-18-2010, 07:49 AM
I find it hard to believe that this was the best way to run the lineset. Even if this was the only route they should at least have incorporated it in Slim Duct or another type of protective sleeve.

Ryan Stouffer
04-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Me too. I have never seen it done this way. I called it out.

David Bell
04-18-2010, 10:32 AM
You may want to call out the heat that can come off the shingle and damage the insulation around the lines. along with the screws in the shingles.

Any one have any temp that this insulation can be subject to?

Best

Ron
The armaflex insulation can handle the heat, but it does not stand up to UV rays well and tends to dry out and disintegrate over time. The manufacturer sells a UV resistant paint that can be applied to the armaflex on outdoor installations.

Markus Keller
04-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I've seen this type of install plenty of times. Ugly and not a great method but i haven't found a restriction for it.
The screws into the roof are obviously an issue. Since the majority of the run is at an angle, not sure if it would qualify as needed a trap to prevent line suction.
Think of it from the Homeowners perspective. They can have an ugly install on the back of the house, or pay a ton more money and have a huge mess to run the line throughout the interior walls and pop out the side. The interior work could run a grand or two.