PDA

View Full Version : unsealed kitchen sink

wes owens
07-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Does anyone write up kitchen sinks that are not sealed under the edge?

I'm talking about the economy stainless double bowl sink that drops in and is secured with metal clips.

If they are not sealed under the edge to prevent water from wicking under them and dripping down under the cabinet, does anyone write them up?

Jerry Peck
07-03-2007, 05:24 PM
YES!

*ALL* plumbing fixtures are *required* to be sealed to the wall, floor, counter, etc. that they are set in/on/to.

imported_John Smith
07-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Is that the Jerry code, or are you quoting IRC? I know through some of my own remodeling work that I have seen drop in sinks that I didnt think were sealed (until I tried to remove them). Sometimes its hard to tell.

Jerry Peck
07-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Is that the Jerry code, or are you quoting IRC?

I didn't know there was a "Jerry code". :D

From the IRC.
- P2705.1 General.

- - The installation of fixtures shall conform to the following:
- - - 3. Where fixtures come in contact with walls and floors, the contact area shall be water tight.

Treat the "countertop" as a "floor or wall".

Tony Mount
07-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Jerry code added "counter, etc, that they are set in/on/to" That means that it is only Jerry"s opinion not code.

Martin Baker
07-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Hey Guys,
I agree with both Jerry and John. It should be caulked, but you can't always tell. A good caulk job may not be visible. Therefore, I don't call it unless I see evidence of leakage.
Martin

wes owens
07-08-2007, 08:11 AM
With this one, I could see under the edge because it had a little spot that was raised.

Then I checked under the sink to see if there were any signs of sealant around the edge.

They just didn't seal it. But on this house, based on the other things I found, I wasn't surprised.

Martin Baker
07-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Or evidence of daylight showing through the rim!