PDA

View Full Version : Weep holes at 33 inches...For how long ?

Gene South
04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I operate under the guideline that brick siding should have weep holes installed at a maximum of 33 inches. Does anyone know how long the "33 inches" guideline has been in force? Has the distance ever been greater in the past? I see a lot of houses built in the 80's and 90's with weep holes about every 38 inches. Just wondered if the "33 inches" rule was a newer guideline.

Thanks

Gene

Ted Menelly
04-20-2010, 02:35 PM
1983 CABO shows 4'-0" o.c., 1995 indicates 33" o.c.

Yeah that to....also since they stopped building the foundation so low that it was either in the dirt at the bottom of the brick or almost there. There is a particular time period where it seems a large portion of homes had the brick just about at ground level. Maybe late seventies or so.

Gene South
04-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks A.D. for doing the research to find the answer. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thx....Gene

Todd Belverstone
04-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Just glad to see a home with weep holes. Most of the newer homes in this area don't have any.

Alton Darty
04-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Just glad to see a home with weep holes. Most of the newer homes in this area don't have any.

Must be an Arkansas thing Todd, I rarely see weeps on anything built in the last 30-40 years around NE Arkansas. Masons here tell me that they aren't needed in this area. I still call it out, but the clients always get told that I am wrong...:eek:

Todd Belverstone
04-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Alton,
Not sure if you were at the AAREI meeting in Feb. but the spokesman for Acme Brick was saying that weep holes are not required if the floor is a foot above ground level "because water will find a way out". No thanks, still gunna write it up.