PDA

View Full Version : Window question

Jeff Eastman
07-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Jerry Peck
07-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Think of a sliding window as a small sliding glass door.

Water is designed to get into the entire bottom track on sliders, then it drains back out.

Gunnar Alquist
07-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Although, I would not have thought that the humidity levels would be high enough in L.V. to allow moisture to condense on the interior of a window. Funny that.

Jerry Peck
07-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Gunnar,

It's not condensation.

When rain strikes the window and runs down, it gets onto the bottom track, just like with sliding glass doors.

And, just like with sliding glass doors, that track the panel rolls on goes all the way from side to side (it has to, the sliding panel rolls on it).

Water gets on the 'wet side' of the track, all along the track, from side to side. Some windows have a bottom track which is extruded with a shape which limits one from seeing this water, others take the cheap way out and just use a bottom track as shown in the photo, with a raised rail on which the sliding panel rolls. The 'wet side' (toward the exterior) gets water along it. The 'dry side' (toward the interior) may get some water in wind blown rains, but drains to the 'wet side' at each end (and sometimes through intermediate drain holes, however, the more drain holes through the raised rail, the more openings there are for wind blown rain to blow through, so it's a trade off, minimal drainage creates less need for drainage, but *no drainage* is not a good thing as rain can get blown up under the sliding panel when closed and over the raised rail, ending up on the 'dry side', where it now must be allowed to drain out.

It's the same reason you see water inside the outer panel of a sliding door, then that water drains out (at least, it is supposed to).

Martin Baker
07-09-2007, 03:33 PM
The window on that side appears to be a fixed pane. If I saw that water in the interior, behind a fixed pane, I would look for a head or side flashing leak. True clogged weep holes occur, but there should never be water inside that track, unless like Jerry says, there is strong wind blown rain, like hurricane force. Are you sure it isn't condensation running down the inside of the glass??