PDA

View Full Version : Zinsco breakers installed in a “Magnetrip” panel.

Gene South
04-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Today in a year 1940 built home I found Zinsco breakers installed in a “Magnetrip” panel. I know of the Sylvania/Zinsco panel issues. Anyone know about Zinsco breakers in a Magnetrip panel and what issues may be associated. Thanks. I can research this myself but have to get a report done and don’t have the time right now and was hoping someone can enlighten me. See photos.

Thanks

Gene

Billy Stephens
04-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Today in a year 1940 built home I found Zinsco breakers installed in a “Magnetrip” panel. I know of the Sylvania/Zinsco panel issues. Anyone know about Zinsco breakers in a Magnetrip panel and what issues may be associated. Thanks. I can research this myself but have to get a report done and don’t have the time right now and was hoping someone can enlighten me. See photos.

Thanks

Gene
Gene,

Why Would this ( same type of bus bar ) and problematic breakers be any better?

Just a Quick Glance at the posted panel with Aluminum Branch Circuits , degraded wiring, Neutral Wrapped Around The Service Cables, and ------:eek:

You might be Over Thinking The Whys. :)

Electrical:
*Replace Service Panel ( Beyond it's Service Life.)

Ron Bibler
04-22-2010, 06:00 PM
OK Bub...

YouTube - Zinsco Breaker Test (Fire) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMV1jmDn3o4&feature=related)

Zinsco Electrical Panels - Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum (http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/42845.html)
Additional information at Bob Vila web-site.

Best

Ron
Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging (http://www.santarosacahomeinspection.com)

Gene South
04-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Billy, yes of course. You are right. I wasn't seeing the trees for the forest.

Jerry Peck
04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
That is not a split bus panel (at least not intentionally split bus, although I have seen some Zinsco panels with split buses because they arced and burned completely through).

That means it has too many mains (if this is service equipment).

If that is not service equipment then there is no insulate neutral conductor to the panel.

Either way, replace it as there is way too much wrong to even attempt to fix it, especially considering you are trying to "fix it" and still end up with a Zinsco panel. :eek:

Billy Stephens
04-22-2010, 06:50 PM

Electrical:
*Replace Service Panel ( Beyond it's Service Life.)
* Replace Panel located at ABC ( Beyond it's Service Life.)

That is not a split bus panel (at least not intentionally split bus, although I have seen some Zinsco panels with split buses because they arced and burned completely through).

That means it has too many mains (if this is service equipment).

If that is not service equipment then there is no insulate neutral conductor to the panel.

Either way, replace it as there is way too much wrong to even attempt to fix it, especially considering you are trying to "fix it" and still end up with a Zinsco panel. :eek:
Or.
* see above edit.

Rollie Meyers
04-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Old Zinsco breakers were marked as"Magnetrip" (1950's or so) Only advantage of that era Zinsco was the bus was plated copper not aluminum.

BTW, what is the funky filler plate in the panel deadfront?

Billy Stephens
04-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Or.
* see above edit.
Gene,

When They Replace " The Panel " it can no longer be in a Clothes Closet. ;)

Gene South
04-23-2010, 02:42 AM
Hi Billy, thanks.

Gene

John Kogel
04-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Old Zinsco breakers were marked as"Magnetrip" (1950's or so) Only advantage of that era Zinsco was the bus was plated copper not aluminum.
Thanks, Rollie

BTW, what is the funky filler plate in the panel deadfront?That would be the carpet. :)

The wire coming in on the right going to the bus on the left could be the neutral. We don't care why. :)
My guess is that there's a disconnect ahead of that old antique. At least, there should have been.

Be careful calling out aluminum when there's cloth insulated wiring. Those silvery wires, at least some of them, are tinned copper. (Rubber insulation with cloth cover)

Guy W Opie
04-25-2010, 05:43 AM
The panel should be replaced. As far as being in a clothes closet some areas it will probabably have to be moved and in some the rehab code will allow it to stay.