PDA

View Full Version : Gas Pipe on Roof ?

Clint White
04-23-2010, 05:58 AM
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk433/sihipro/adell006.jpg

Wasn't sure what section to put this in (roofing, HVAC, ???)

I ran across this gas piping yesterday. It extends straight up through the soffit, across the roof, and is run down into the home at various points. (gas furnaces, stove, dryer) I have NEVER seen gas piping run across a roof like this. Sent this to my HVAC guy who agrees that it is "non-standard" install, but NOT ILLEGAL.

Would like your input if you have a moment.

P.S. No need to pick the rest of the picture apart, I know the roof is trash, I had to wear a raincoat IN the HOUSE....no joke :)

Clint

Ron Bibler
04-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Black Pipe ? How was it attached ? Any photos ?

Best

Ron

John Arnold
04-23-2010, 07:24 AM
... Any photos ?..

The photo url is at the top of the post. I missed it too, at first.

David Bell
04-23-2010, 08:11 AM
No supports, pitch boxes, one of those jobs you just kinda shake your head at.

John Arnold
04-23-2010, 08:19 AM
No supports, pitch boxes, one of those jobs you just kinda shake your head at.

What's a pitch box?

David Bell
04-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Simply put ,it is a box that holds pitch,or tar, or a rubber product to seal a roof penetration.

Ron Bibler
04-23-2010, 09:01 AM
You hit the mother load with issue on the install of that pipe. limited support. banging each other. passing from one roof line into the next and then back out. Thats a mess.

Hay Plumber Man...:D

Best

Ron

Frank Bombardiere
04-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Dual purpose gas piping/lightning protection system. Maybe they are trying to blow up the house for insurance money. Did they have CSST running to all the appliances inside:D

Clint White
04-23-2010, 10:09 PM
No CSST, just black iron :) Wrote it all up, buyers backed out (lotsa other juicy problems with the home).....Oh well....They still have another week to by a home and "win" $8000.....................

Ron Bibler
04-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Check out the way he ran the CSST Into the air handler for home.

The agent say its no big deal. Can you see if this got a leak inside the ventilation system. gas being pump into every room inside the house and then at some point. KA-BLOWIES:D Up in smoke...

Best

Ron