PDA

View Full Version : Window seal problems! Help!

rob martinez
04-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Can anyone help me with what's going on here and why? 2003 built home in Sacramento. Thanks in advance for any reply.

Rob Martinez

Rick Hurst
04-01-2007, 11:29 PM
I think that window definately has a manufacture defect or the glass has been replaced by an amatuer.

Brian Hannigan
04-01-2007, 11:31 PM
To me it looks like a the wrong seal for that size window (to long) or the wrong type of seal that expanded with moisture. That is in a shower, right?

Jim Robinson
04-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Do the windows face south or west? In my areas, cheap vinyl windows will disintegrate from the UV exposure on those sides of the house. The vinyl expands so much that it doesn't hold the seal in place properly.

Nolan Kienitz
04-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Spider on the sill is a possible suspect!

As already noted ... possible 'lower quality' manufacturer, humidity from bathroom shower/bath.

My experience with vinyl, dual-pane windows (Houston region) from a 'quality' manufacturer has been nothing short of excellent.

If they are of good quality I feel they are much better than aluminum, dual-pane products.

Richard Rushing
04-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Definately the wrong seal. That is one continuous piece that is, well.... crap.

No need to analyze further. Bigger fish to fry. Let the buyer know that this will definately cause energy effieiceny issues and was installed wrong.

It needs to be replaced.

Rich

Scott Patterson
04-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Defective windows. They might still be under the manufacturer's warranty if they were installed in 2003. Many windows have a 5 year or better warranty.

rob martinez
04-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Thank you all! One was a front entry side window, the other over a tub shower area. Entry faced east and bath one faced west. I told them that the foam spacers were defective and that the windows needed replacement. Sent them in the builders/manufacture's direction for a possible warranty claim. No visible mfg. name though. Thanks again!

Tommy Decebal Adamescu
11-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Replace it.Closed case.Bed seal.
Tommy
HomeSpector Home Page for what is a Home Inspection (http://www.HomeSpectorInc.com)

Jerry Peck
11-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Replace it.Closed case.Bed seal.
Tommy
HomeSpector Home Page for what is a Home Inspection (http://www.HomeSpectorInc.com)

Tommy,

As you can see from the rest of us, we use reall full names here ... how about you join the rest of us and change your user name to show your first and last name - thanks.

I'm sure that if you send Brian an e-mail at brian@hanntech.com he will change your user name to your first and last name for you.

Tommy Decebal Adamescu
11-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks Jerry.I think I will do that.You're OK with FREA member picture or would like my ugly face instead?
Tommy

Tommy,

As you can see from the rest of us, we use reall full names here ... how about you join the rest of us and change your user name to show your first and last name - thanks.

I'm sure that if you send Brian an e-mail at brian@hanntech.com he will change your user name to your first and last name for you.

Jerry Peck
11-04-2007, 06:02 PM
or would like my ugly face instead?

Tommy,

You will notice that I have nothing there, so you can't be any worse than me ...

Don't worry about the picture you post there, we've got everything from gorillas to the unknown-whatever-it-is.

:D

Chuck Melocco
02-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Inspected a hous that had 21 vinyl windows with bad seals, Has aynone hear of a class action suite or recall??

Rick Hurst
02-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Chuck,

Personally I've never heard of any recalls. Lost thermal seals is a common problem which I see daily. Had a home last week with 39 windows with lost seals. Most of the window manufactures warranty them for about 5-10yrs, but the window companies have gotten smart and change their company name so often that the warranties are useless.

Most lost thermal seals I found tend to be on the west sides of homes (more sunlight) and on the upper windows where no screens are present.

When I sold my last home, I had 2 lost seals show up the day before the buyers inspection. For some reason, their inspector didn't see them.

Rick