PDA

View Full Version : New Mag Lite

Tom Rees
04-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Has anyone used the new Mag Lite LED and how bright etc it is?

James Duffin
04-26-2010, 04:15 PM
I have been using the two D-cell version for about 18 months and like it a lot. I can get in about 20 inspections before the batteries need changing. It starts off very bright and then the light output drops a bit and stays there until it drops suddenly. Then the batteries need to be replaced.

Trent Tarter
04-26-2010, 08:02 PM
I use a Mag Light LED as a back up light in case my rechargeable spotlight run out. I am currently looking for a better light. I've had problems with the Mag Light LED and would like something brighter and more reliable. I'd pass on the Mag Light and look at something brighter and better quality.

James Duffin
04-26-2010, 08:08 PM
I guess I've been lucky with mine. I did drop one on a concrete driveway and it stopped working but besides that I have not had any problems. They've been very reliable.

Gunnar Alquist
04-26-2010, 10:04 PM
I use a Mag Light LED as a back up light in case my rechargeable spotlight run out. I am currently looking for a better light. I've had problems with the Mag Light LED and would like something brighter and more reliable. I'd pass on the Mag Light and look at something brighter and better quality.

I have been using the Pelican 7060. Really bright and makes it through two inspections.

Jim Luttrall
04-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Stream Light Stinger DS LED Whiter and brighter than my Ultra stinger but no more burned out bulbs and I have yet to run the rechargeable battery down.
I keep my Ultra stinger in the truck as a back-up along with and extra battery and bulb but so far it has been the best light I have used and is about 1/3 the size and weight of my old Mag light.

Raymond Wand
04-27-2010, 04:08 AM
Have been using a Maglite D cell flashlight for a couple of years now. It originally had an incandescent bulb which I found created a poor focused beam in the centre, more of a dark spot. Converted that bulb to 3 watt LED and there is a big difference in light output and the beam is now more focused and brighter. Definetly worth the upgrade.

neal lewis
04-27-2010, 05:08 AM
I recentlybought the Solarforce Masterpiece LED light. It's supposed to put out 900 lumens on Turbo mode and puts the Ultra Stinger to shame. The batteries last a long time.
I got fed up with the poor battery performance with the Ultra. Could barely get one inspection out of a new battery.

Chris Stichter
04-28-2010, 08:48 PM
I used 3 and 4 cell mag lights for years... I'm so glad I switched to a rechargable streamlight. I found that I would try to get the most out of the batteries in the mag light & started getting used to the yellow light. When I switched to the stinger it was like a nice bright white spot light...throw it on the charger & ready for tomorrow.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Chris

Paul Kondzich
04-28-2010, 09:18 PM
I also have the Ultra Stinger, its nice but I also dont like the battery life issue.

Ken Rowe
04-28-2010, 09:20 PM
I've been using the same rechargeable Mag-Light for about 4,000 inspections. 6 bulb replacements and 1 battery replacement isn't bad. Plus it will easily last 3 inspections without recharging. I like being able to adjust the beam from floodlight to spotlight. I've even dropped it off a couple roofs and it keeps working.

http://flashlightsunlimited.com/images/MagLite/MagLiteRechargeable.jpg

Jack Feldmann
04-29-2010, 03:54 AM
Same one I use Ken. In fact I have 4 of them and always take 2 in my truck. I also get about 3 inspections out of a charge. I find that the batteries last 3 - 4 years.

james hise
04-30-2010, 05:00 AM
I have had a couple mag lights. I like the SURE-FIRE flash light better. It's 1/4 as big, fits in your pocket or teeth and is at least as bright...I think brighter. Used by the military also.
I bring in the mag light as a spare or when I'm in a BAD NEIGHBORHOOD!

Chuck Lambert
04-30-2010, 05:52 AM
I also have the Ultra Stinger, its nice but I also dont like the battery life issue.

Streamlight still uses NiCad batteries, which over time create a memory. Run the battery down and then charge every time. If you run the battery 25% down and throw it back on the charger consistantly the battery will then dump when it reaches 75% capacity.

If the battery has some age on it replace it. I got 3 batteries for my Ultra Stinger off ebay for about 4-6 bucks each and they have a higher Mah rating and work great.

Chuck

Marc Morin
04-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Same as Gunnar, I've been using the Pelican 7060 for about 8 months. Very bright white light which lasts two attics and crawl spaces, does not dim when loosing power (it will flash a few times then quit) and still has pulse illumination to get out of dark spaces after it dies. Light-weight composite polygon cross section housing prevents the unit from rolling away when set down on a sloped surface and it’s water proof. The Los Angeles Police Department requested Pelican make them a flashlight as powerful as the very large Maglite rechargeable unit that the officers carried, but in a small and light configuration so it cannot be used as a club...so I can no longer thump on cornered rodents.