PDA

View Full Version : Stairs

Ryan Stouffer
04-26-2010, 03:33 PM
I know there has been plenty of discussions about stairs on the site before. This set of stairs has 4 risers and a handrail but it is 29 3/4 high. Should it have a guardrail?

Thanks,

Ryan

Rick Cantrell
04-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Should it have a guardrail? Yes.
Is a guardrail required? No.

chris mcintyre
04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
I know there has been plenty of discussions about stairs on the site before. This set of stairs has 4 risers and a handrail but it is 29 3/4 high. Should it have a guardrail?

Thanks,

Ryan

Post # 7...

Darren
You may be confusing "handrails" and "Guards"
Guards are required on the open sides of stairs, porches, ramps, and decks if 30" or more above the lower surface.
A(only one)handrail is required when there are 4 or more risers in a stairway, reguardless of height above the lower surface.

On this thread...
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/exterior-systems-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/19404-handrails.html

Billy Stephens
04-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Should it have a guardrail?

Thanks,

Ryan
I would write this as a Safety Hazard .
*aunt Martha don't Look Good in a Body Cast. :eek:

Rick Cantrell
04-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Post # 7...

On this thread...
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/exterior-systems-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/19404-handrails.html

I don't follow what you are getting at, can you explane it to me?

chris mcintyre
04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't follow what you are getting at, can you explane it to me?

I knew I had seen the answer somewhere, and now I see that you made your post while I was quoting your other post from another thread.

I guess what I am trying to say is you were right....both times.:)

Rick Cantrell
04-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Gotcha.
Thanks

mathew stouffer
04-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Let me put it in simply terms a slow man like myself can grasp. It is equipped with required handrail. No guard rail because one is not required.

Jerry Peck
04-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Let me put it in simply terms a slow man like myself can grasp. It is equipped with required handrail. No guard rail because one is not required.

And they put cardboard boxes there to cushion the fall when you walk straight out and off the end. :)

Billy Stephens
04-26-2010, 08:32 PM
And they put cardboard boxes there to cushion the fall when you walk straight out and off the end. :)
Yeah,

:D But they Got Those Painting Imperfections on the Finial Walk Through. :D