PDA

View Full Version : Shingles in between bricks

Frank Bombardiere
04-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Why in the world would you put shingle material in between two rows of brick veneer???

Jerry Peck
04-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Looks like that is a through wall flashing.

You can see the edges of more of it along that same bottom of the mortar joint.

Rick Cantrell
04-27-2010, 02:14 AM
"Looks like that is a through wall flashing."

I agree, but why in the world would you put flashing that high up on the wall, and without weeps?

Frank Bombardiere
04-27-2010, 06:52 AM
Maybe, but it was only on the right garage wall, no where else. Just makes no sense to me.

Jerry Peck
04-27-2010, 05:36 PM
"Looks like that is a through wall flashing."

I agree, but why in the world would you put flashing that high up on the wall, and without weeps?

For the same reason you put one, are required to put one, at the top of the brick veneer below a window opening - to prevent water from entering the top of the veneer and the air space behind it.

None is needed where the veneer goes all the way up the wall and ends under an overhang - that top is well protected by the overhang, but, as shown in the photo, there is a frame wall above and water could very easily enter into the brick veneer from it.

Rick Cantrell
04-27-2010, 07:02 PM
"For the same reason you put one, are required to put one, at the top of the brick veneer below a window opening - to prevent water from entering the top of the veneer and the air space behind it.

None is needed where the veneer goes all the way up the wall and ends under an overhang - that top is well protected by the overhang, but, as shown in the photo, there is a frame wall above and water could very easily enter into the brick veneer from it."

That sounds reasonable, I've just not noticed it before.