PDA

View Full Version : No main handle

Mike Locurcio
04-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Pending sale on this house was thwarted by the discovery of service equipment with main lugs only. Someone inserted old 60 amp entrance cable into a new 150 amp main lug panel. My question is does the entire panel have to be changed out, or is it ok to back feed a 60 amp breaker with the SEU? Thanks for prompt, thoughtful replies only.

Jim Port
04-29-2010, 05:28 AM
If you can get a listed hold-down bracket and it can be used in that panel, you could install the 60 and backfeed the panel. Some hold-downs are not for use with all panels. Square D has one that is only for the smaller panels.

Scott Patterson
04-29-2010, 06:46 AM
Pending sale on this house was thwarted by the discovery of service equipment with main lugs only. Someone inserted old 60 amp entrance cable into a new 150 amp main lug panel. My question is does the entire panel have to be changed out, or is it ok to back feed a 60 amp breaker with the SEU? Thanks for prompt, thoughtful replies only.

Are you saying that the home only has a 60amp service? If that is the case that could also be a problem as most insurance providers will no longer cover a home if it has only a 60 amp service.

Mike Locurcio
04-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Thank you gentlemen for prompt, courteous replies. Further investigation reveals that this Square D panel allows for conversion to a main breaker by simply removing the lugs and bolting to the bus bars. This still leaves the problem of the 60 amp entrance cable as you pointed out, Scott. I am recommending a wire upgrade be performed at the same time.

Bill Kriegh
04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Needy bastard, huh?:D

Probably just doesn't like our nice friendly chit chats