PDA

View Full Version : Drains not connected to septic system

Trent Tarter
04-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Yesterdays inspection was an older home on a septic system. Several of the drains were routed to concrete drain boxes at exterior. No sure where the water was going to, most likely old gray water drain fields/drywells. Just like to find out how other inspectors describe conditions like this. Besides saying the plumbing system is deteriorated and needs replaced, which it does.

Billy Stephens
04-29-2010, 09:49 PM
. Just like to find out how other inspectors describe conditions like this. .
Don't Fall in Them Big Open Holes Out There. :D

John Kogel
04-29-2010, 09:54 PM
most likely old gray water drain fields/drywells. Just like to find out how other inspectors describe conditions like this. I call that a stinky pit. :D

Grey water systems are taboo in most places. They can contaminate groundwater.
Out in the sticks, it's a good way to keep the septic tank healthy, no greasy soap stink in the septic.

James Duffin
04-30-2010, 04:37 AM
I would describe what I saw and then state the system needs to be evaluated and repaired by a qualified septic system contractor.

Daniel Leung
04-30-2010, 08:15 AM
I think that is a distribution box. See Septic Inspections: An Detailed Guide to Septic Systems Inspection, Testing, & Maintenance-detailed how to information - an online textbook, septic distances, well clearances, onsite waste disposal inspection (http://www.inspectapedia.com/septic/septtext.htm)

Trent Tarter
04-30-2010, 01:42 PM
These are not considered septic system distribution boxes. I am familiar with septic system design. I pretty much just state what I find and recommend further review by a qualified plumber/septic tank contractor. With old and deteriorated cast iron drains and galvanized supply pipes the home needs all plumbing replaced. Other problems were leaking galvanized pipes over service equipment! Supply and drain pipes routed through ductwork! Oh yea and a ton of cat sh!t in the basement.