PDA

View Full Version : Prolab Mold Inspection

Ken Rowe
04-30-2010, 05:47 PM
The other day while doing an inspection I took the following pictures of the roof sheeting from the attic space. I called it a "mold like substance" and suggest further review. So the buyers asked the sellers to have the mold test done. They hired a ProLab mold inspector who wrote the following regarding the sheeting:

No presence of current or former
growth observed. Only normally
settled spores observed.

Anyone care to venture an explanation of the mold inspector's observations?

Nick Ostrowski
04-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Only normally settled spores observed.

WTF does that mean?

Ken Rowe
04-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Nick,

I honestly don't know. I don't think the mold inspector even looked in the attic.

Bruce Breedlove
04-30-2010, 06:52 PM
He's the "expert". It's his can of worms now.

Ken Rowe
04-30-2010, 07:59 PM
The deal fell through anyhow because the seller didn't disclose the damaged roof they were paid $7,000 for last year but failed to replace. So I'm sure nothing will come of the mold report.

Jerry Peck
04-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Forget the mold, that plywood sheathing is all delaminating.

Ron Bibler
04-30-2010, 08:59 PM
I see other problems with the ply-wood. looks like the nails have a rusting condition. Thats another indicator of a moisture condition.

Mest

Ron

Ken Rowe
04-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Forget the mold, that plywood sheathing is all delaminating.

Yep, all addressed in the report. The client knew a new roof and possibly decking had to be done, even before I told him. Seems he got a little pissed at the seller though when his insurance agent ran a C.L.U.E. report and found out the seller was paid for a full replacement last year.

Ken Rowe
04-30-2010, 09:46 PM
I see other problems with the ply-wood. looks like the nails have a rusting condition. Thats another indicator of a moisture condition.

Mest

Ron

Yep, previous frost stains.
Inadequate ventilation, inadequate insulation, poor grading, gutters without extensions...all pretty standard inspection comments up here. :)

Ken Bates
05-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Mold reports are a waste of money ( a rip-off )

Unquallified individuals from the putative "mold labs" just look at an unstained sample under a microscope and attempt to try to identify it merely by comparing what they see of a poorly prepared specimen to a representative facsimile.

You need weeks and differential diagnosis techniques to arrive at reasonable diagnosis. (this means culturing)

Emperor's new clothes.

Ken Rowe
05-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Mold reports are a waste of money ( a rip-off )

Unquallified individuals from the putative "mold labs" just look at an unstained sample under a microscope and attempt to try to identify it merely by comparing what they see of a poorly prepared specimen to a representative facsimile.

You need weeks and differential diagnosis techniques to arrive at reasonable diagnosis. (this means culturing)

Emperor's new clothes.

Unfortunately the comments:

No presence of current or former
growth observed. Only normally
settled spores observed.

were made by the actual inspector about the roof sheeting.