PDA

View Full Version : Washer drain line

brianmiller
05-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Any reason a washer drain line should not be connected to the drain line after the p-trap?

The washer is in the garage directy behind the kitchen sink. The homeowners are doing a remodel and I was doing a pre-sheetrock inspecion and saw that the washer drain was connected to he kitchen sink drain line. I think it is okay but wanted to double check.

bm

John Arnold
05-02-2010, 10:54 AM
The washer should discharge with an air gap, not be plumbed directly into a pipe, especially downstream of a trap.

brianmiller
05-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I forgot to add that part; it had the air gap. With the air gap, in place , is it better for it to tie into the kitchen drain before or after the trap.

briam

John Arnold
05-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I forgot to add that part; it had the air gap. With the air gap, in place , is it better for it to tie into the kitchen drain before or after the trap.

briam

Well, after the trap means sewer gases/odors can come up through the stand pipe, right?
That's what the trap is for, to block the sewer gases.

Jim Luttrall
05-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Any reason a washer drain line should not be connected to the drain line after the p-trap?

The washer is in the garage directy behind the kitchen sink. The homeowners are doing a remodel and I was doing a pre-sheetrock inspecion and saw that the washer drain was connected to he kitchen sink drain line. I think it is okay but wanted to double check.

bm

Got any pictures?
This sounds wrong on many levels but without a better description or photos, it is pretty much shooting in the dark.

Jerry Peck
05-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Any reason a washer drain line

Brian,

Clarify "washer", as in "dishwasher" or "clothes washer"?

A "dishwasher" may be connected a couple of ways, a "clothes washer" has specified ways to connect it as it has such a high volume of water discharging via the pump.

Vern Heiler
05-02-2010, 03:15 PM
The washer should discharge with an air gap, not be plumbed directly into a pipe, especially downstream of a trap.

John, do you mean indirect waste or are you saying the drain line from the washing machine has to be 1" above the drain receptacle? All that I have seen had the washer drain line stuck down into the drain stand pipe with a trap located below that.

Denny Waters
05-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Laundry tubs and clothes washer drains are not supposed to be connected to kitchen sink traps. Don't know the code. But written in my I.T.A. plumbing book.