PDA

View Full Version : Crawlspace Without Insulation

Nick Ostrowski
05-05-2010, 06:12 PM
I looked at a 4 year old house today that had a crawlspace beneath the entire footprint of the house. I was completely sealed with no vents and a concrete floor. There was no insulation on the ceiling of the crawlspace but foam insulation panels were installed on the foundation walls in the space.

Is there any requirement for insulating a crawlspace ceiling in newer construction, in this case, a 4 year old house?

Billy Stephens
05-05-2010, 06:49 PM
I looked at a 4 year old house today that had a crawlspace beneath the entire footprint of the house. I was completely sealed with no vents and a concrete floor. There was no insulation on the ceiling of the crawlspace but foam insulation panels were installed on the foundation walls in the space.

Is there any requirement for insulating a crawlspace ceiling in newer construction, in this case, a 4 year old house?
No.
.Crawl Space Specifications (http://www.rlcengineering.com/csspecs.htm)

chris mcintyre
05-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Lots of crawl spaces around here, and a lot of debate about sealed crawl spaces.

There is a big difference in sealed crawl spaces and conditioned crawl spaces, long story short (from my experience), conditioned crawls good, sealed crawl not good.

Billy Stephens
05-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Lots of crawl spaces around here, and a lot of debate about sealed crawl spaces.

There is a big difference in sealed crawl spaces and conditioned crawl spaces, long story short (from my experience), conditioned crawls good, sealed crawl not good.
Yep,

Lot's os Studies, Lots of Differing Opinions.
code link. http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineering/BCC/Documents/Minutes/040914c.pdf

Nick Ostrowski
05-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Personally, I prefer to see a crawlspace sealed up as much as possible and treated like a basement. Summers around here are extremely humid and vents would just allow damp humid air to fill the space.

Billy Stephens
05-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Personally, I prefer to see a crawlspace sealed up as much as possible and treated like a basement. Summers around here are extremely humid and vents would just allow damp humid air to fill the space.

:eek: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. :D

Trent Tarter
05-05-2010, 08:42 PM
As others have mentioned this is considered either a "sealed crawlspace" or a "conditioned crawlspace". All of the ones that I have inspected are similar as you have described. They don't have floor insulation installed. Instead they have foam insulation installed on perimeter of foundation walls. The last one that I inspected had a vent opening in floor and an exhaust fan in crawlspace that vented to exterior. In most case I like the idea of it. I see to many problems with insulated floors such as mold, rodents love to crawl up in it and make a mess of things, plumbing leaks spread and cause more damage etc.

Bruce Breedlove
05-05-2010, 09:30 PM
There was no insulation on the ceiling of the crawlspace but foam insulation panels were installed on the foundation walls in the space.

This is not a "Crawlspace Without Insulation". The foundation walls are insulated so it is an "Insulated Crawlspaace".

Nick Ostrowski
05-06-2010, 02:43 AM
This is not a "Crawlspace Without Insulation". The foundation walls are insulated so it is an "Insulated Crawlspaace".

I'm a little sleep dreprived over these past few weeks. Can't say my brain is firing on all cylinders right now ;).