PDA

View Full Version : To all you antique experts...old overload switch

Gene South
05-06-2010, 07:13 PM
This house built in 1925...one of the most modern houses in town at the time....I am guessing this is the main overload protection for the incoming service...At that time, probably the only electrical demand would have been light bulbs. The house wiring has been modernized, but this was left in the attic.

What say ye old electrical experts?

Brandon Whitmore
05-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Transformer?

Rollie Meyers
05-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Telephone entrance....

Rick Cantrell
05-07-2010, 05:15 AM
I bet Watson is wracking his brain trying to figure it out.

Raymond Wand
05-07-2010, 05:18 AM
My best guess is a telephone transformer.

Jess Alvarez
05-07-2010, 05:21 AM
Telephone line lighting protector. Used at the telephone entrance, prior to the house wiring.

Bill Kriegh
05-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Telco lightning arrester

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-07-2010, 05:41 PM
elec subset shunt for old bell or west elec. telephone ext. ringers ("subset box") power.

Rich Goeken
05-09-2010, 05:25 AM
This is an old telephone service entrance protector. The two long cylinders are actually fuses to prevent excessive current flow in the circuit. The round cover in the center unscrews to expose protector blocks used to ground lightning strikes. The protector blocks were "U" shaped, made from ceramic with a carbon block in the center. A flat carbon block was also installed with the protector block. They were inserted into a clip that had a grounded center and 1/2 of the circuit on the other clip. There was a small air gap between the flat block and the U shaped protector block.

It was the first thing inspected when a report of "grounded one side" was received. The repair was to take a stiff paint brush and brush off the carbon track that was between the two carbon blocks. Simple fix. They still work, BTW.

If the repair person was lazy you may see this installed with a new protector block. In this case there would be two brass springs over the red fuses and the protector blocks removed, effectively bypassing the old block---but leaving it in place. No issue.

Brian Johnson
05-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Good one Rich

You sound like an old "Tip & Ringer"
I am as well, and have seen so many of these in my days.
Those black wires that are cut off on the top are from and old single pair "drop wire"
These were always installed in the basements of early 1900's homes where as today you see a (usually) grey in color box called a "demarc" mounted on the outside of the home near the electric service.
This one in the picture is not in use anymore.

John Kogel
05-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Good one Rich

You sound like an old "Tip & Ringer"
I am as well, and have seen so many of these in my days.
Those black wires that are cut off on the top are from and old single pair "drop wire"
These were always installed in the basements of early 1900's homes where as today you see a (usually) grey in color box called a "demarc" mounted on the outside of the home near the electric service.
This one in the picture is not in use anymore.Yep. Although, the bottom lugs might still be in use as terminal blocks, 2 wires on each lug. I tell people if the phone works, just leave it till it quits working. :)