PDA

View Full Version : Beam Hangar

Gunnar Alquist
05-15-2010, 10:18 AM
This pic is actually from a garage, but I was more interested in the beam hanger itself. I have never seen a beam hanger that was curved on the side wall. In addition, the curve is imperfect. However, it did have the same imperfection on both sides. The hangers that I managed to find on the strong-tie site showed either straight or angled sides. However, this could be from a different manufacturer.

Anyone ever seen a hanger like this? I was wondering if it had been field modified, but I cannot imagine why. Cutting a curve would be a lot of work and serve no obvious purpose.

Jim Luttrall
05-15-2010, 10:27 AM
I've never seen curved ones but I don't remember ever having paid much attention. Is it possible these were field fabricated?

Gunnar Alquist
05-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Jim,

Hard to tell since not much of the hanger is exposed. However, I would guess not. Most of the hardware used around here by contractors is Strong-Tie stuff because they have essentially cornered the market. I cannot imagine anyone going to the trouble to make one when the manufactured stuff is so affordable. This is something the city building inspector would have looked at since it is such an important structural member.

Raymond Wand
05-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Looks homemade.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-15-2010, 02:45 PM
an LSSU might broadcast that pattern between the two flanges - is that a truss, microlam, "beam", or what precisely is being supported under the paint, spray foam(?), applied surface coating(s)?