PDA

View Full Version : Report for Brand New Inspector

Don Smith
05-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi folks. First timing posting and I am looking for some advice. I am finishing up a home inspection course a t a local college, and I am looking for a report format to use. I plan to start off with a paper checklist format, and use that during inspections to make sure I do not miss anything. I will give that to my customer, along with a summary that will be email to them the following morning, to complete the report. The reason for the summary is for me to think about that report that night, and be sure I do not miss anything. I like the checklist that the Carson Dunlop has in the home reference book, and will be looking for something along the same lines. However, I do not want to have the cost outlay of those books. Because it looks like I will join CAHPI (British Columbia), I would want to have their standards followed, and that report looks like the closest one. I plan on using software in the future, and am leaning towards the Horizon program. But I want to make sure I concentrate on doing a good job on the inspection, and not worry about trying to work with a software program right away. Any advice would be gladly taken.

Mike Lamb
05-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Don, I have been using pretty much the same system that you are describing for 14 years.

I use a handwritten 2 part carbonless field report that I give to my client in a folder on site. They get a copy, I get a copy. It is a check list/narrative covering the entire inspection.

Then I go home and prepare an addendum (summary) with photos, etc. that I email to them and their attorney, etc. the next day.

My field report is a word doc. which I can change when I want and print on my laser jet for each job.

You can see what the field report looks like at my web:
Home (http://www.inspection2020.com/)

Contact me if you are interested.

Bob Elliott
05-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi Don
Horizon is a good reporting software , but for a new guy it is expensive.
I used Horizon till I discovered Home Inspector Pro.

Go to the site and read the message board for an idea of how cult like the users of this software are.
It is the best I have ever used and the easiest.

Tell Dominic (the Guru) I sent you and have him set you up with a free trial.
You will never look back.

As far as I know of , nobody has ever left it for another.

We are known as Hippies and help each other out any way we can.
Just look on the forum to see what I mean.

There are no reoccurring fees for upkeep like with other software and it is always being improved.

If you like adding photos it is the fastest there is for adding andd slotting.
An auto summary is generated if you wish and PDF email can be sent to your client that lets you know with alert when it is opened.

The PDF itself has bookmarks , meaning all your subject tabs on a left side index for easy finding.

Good luck with your new entry into inspection.

Here is a link for you to check it out.
Home Inspection Software - Home Inspector Pro - Home (http://www.homeinspectorpro.com/index.php)

Philippe Heller
08-14-2010, 07:09 AM
You will need a good software based report. Even though paper-based reports can be thorough, the expectations of buyers and agents are much higher now. You won't get much work if you stick with paper-based reports.

We use HomeGauge which is fantastic. There is some room for layout improvement, but the guys there are always listening to their users and implementing new ideas.

Home inspector Pro is also excellent and the owmer, Dominic, is great. You should download the free trials and try them out.

Tom Camp
08-16-2010, 06:04 AM
I agree with Bob, I have been using Home Inspector Pro for about a year now. Truly the best software I have found and the support is GREAT, any time I have had questions Dom responds fast. Try the 30 day free trial and you will love it. Many people have modified a template to fit their condition or purpose and are available or you can modify any template for your own use.

If you are looking for a prepared paper form to use prior to filling out your software produced Inspection Report try the following two sites from HUD. One form is 7 pages and the other about 20 pages, good luck.

www.mass.gov/Ehed/docs/dhcd/hd/.../housingqualitystandards.pdf
www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudclips/forms/files/52580-a.pdf

Tom Camp
Tom Camp Inspection Services LLC
Colorado Springs - Home Inspections, Commercial Inspections, Radon Inspections, Mold Inspections (http://www.tomcampinspectionservices.com)
Inspections Done Right