PDA

View Full Version : Cullulose insulation on crawl space walls

mathew stouffer
05-24-2010, 12:27 PM
The company that built this home was from vegas, and seemed to do a few things a little differently than normal. I have never seen cellulose insulatoin on concrete wall below grade. Is this acceptable.

Bruce Breedlove
05-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Not a good idea for a number of reasons. Read some opinions from other inspectors at this IN thread - Cellulose Insulation on Dirt ??? (http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/sub-structure-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/11160-cellulose-insulation-dirt.html)

mathew stouffer
05-24-2010, 02:50 PM
About what I was thinking, plus it falls of the wall if the wall gets damp.

Scott Patterson
05-25-2010, 07:11 AM
We see it all the time in my area of Middle Tennessee. Our ASHI chapter members call it SOS (Spray on Sh_ t). They are suppose to leave a clear space at the top near the sill plate, I think 6" so that you can see bugs eating the house.

When I find a home with it my first comments are "I could not see the foundation walls due to the insulation and I have no idea of their condition", pretty simple and to the point.

FYI, it can take a great deal of moisture before it falls off the walls. Once it is sprayed on and cures, it is really difficult to remove unless you poke and mess with it when it is damp or wet.