PDA

View Full Version : Wow, how would you call this one?

Alan C Grubb
05-25-2010, 04:01 PM
This is a picture of the roof structure which was added on to a attached garage. They appeared to be 2X8 cut down on both ends to about 2 inches. Because of the insulation could not be sure. they were also on 4 foot center. The other pic is what was used to support them where the two structures came together. So how would you call it?

Michael Thomas
05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Dumb.

Alan C Grubb
05-25-2010, 05:23 PM
You got that right! This house was sold once prior to this and this was not called out to new owner. So he says.

Philip
05-25-2010, 06:09 PM
It appears to be modified pole barn construction.

chris mcintyre
05-25-2010, 07:15 PM
In this area polystyrene board can not be exposed because it burns readily and emits toxic fumes. This may just be a local code but it might be something worth checking into.

Corn Walker
05-26-2010, 04:04 PM
In this area polystyrene board can not be exposed because it burns readily and emits toxic fumes. This may just be a local code but it might be something worth checking into.

That's not polystyrene, it's foil faced polyisocyanurate manufactured by Dow.

chris mcintyre
05-26-2010, 05:16 PM
That's not polystyrene, it's foil faced polyisocyanurate manufactured by Dow.

I stand corrected. I seen the blue board and assumed.....
I have never seen the blue foil, it has always been silver or white. I want to say that the toxic fumes still apply, but I will not, I try and limit my misinformation to one post per thread.:)

Corn Walker
05-26-2010, 06:13 PM
I stand corrected. I seen the blue board and assumed.....
I have never seen the blue foil, it has always been silver or white. I want to say that the toxic fumes still apply, but I will not, I try and limit my misinformation to one post per thread.:)

Dow makes a number of polyiso boards, including the TUFF-R and Super TUFF-R foil faced polyiso sheets. The Super TUFF-R has one side silver, one side blue. It is reinforced (compared to the standard TUFF-R) and vapor impermeable. I still wouldn't burn it.

Philip
05-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Back in early 80's I was installing a flat plate collector that was insulated with an inch of double foil faced polyisocyaurate. I do not know the manufacturer.