View Full Version : What is this device?

Matthew Barnicle
05-27-2010, 02:23 PM
What is the little blue device sticking up out of the PVC?? I am thinking it lets air into the system for the spa jets? It would occasionally leak/drip water out of the little perforations. Is that normal?

James Duffin
05-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Based on what's visible in the picture I think it is an air vent that let's air out of the system at the highest point of the piping.

David Bell
05-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Air vent

james hise
05-28-2010, 03:23 AM
It's an air intake for the spa to make forced air bubbles at the jets.

Bob Boepple
05-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Could also be a foot valve used as an air vent ..... Brady SFV-75 Spring Foot Valve (http://www.drillspot.com/products/71016/Brady_SFV-75_Spring_Foot_Valve)

John Kogel
05-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Could also be a foot valve used as an air vent ..... Brady SFV-75 Spring Foot Valve (http://www.drillspot.com/products/71016/Brady_SFV-75_Spring_Foot_Valve)
That is what it looks like to me too. It is vulnerable to damage in that setup, BTW.

James Duffin
05-31-2010, 10:49 AM
You normally see a foot valve in a well or tank to keep a pump from losing it's prime. This doesn't like an application for a foot valve to me. This looks more like a vent of some kind.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Looks like PVC conduit or vent elbows used where 90-degree bends should be to filtration system. Makes me wonder what other required protections to the potable water supply system may be missing or skipped and question the electrical safeguards/requirements.

Vernon Sanders
05-31-2010, 11:41 AM
It appears to be on the return to the pool

David Bell
06-01-2010, 05:30 AM
The vent is on the supply to the pool as the strainer is on the return side of pump. The fittings used for piping are those typically found on pool filtration systems.