PDA

View Full Version : Lateral bracing for Porch systems

brianmiller
06-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Are the brackets attached to the top of the posts "proper" lateral support to prevent the porch from racking? I say no, but an inspector friend says yes.

Brian

Jim Robinson
06-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I would think that the roof itself would keep it from racking, whether those little corner braces were present or not. How did it feel?

chris mcintyre
06-01-2010, 05:20 PM
I would think that the roof itself would keep it from racking, whether those little corner braces were present or not.

I agree with Jim unless this is the house with 1x4's 4' on center, then I think it would need some bracing, and no the bracing in the pic is not sufficient. JMHO

brianmiller
06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
The posts felt solid, not moving.

Corn Walker
06-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Are the brackets attached to the top of the posts "proper" lateral support to prevent the porch from racking? I say no, but an inspector friend says yes.

If you really want to know, you need to get yourself an engineering friend. That picture is wholly insufficient to determine whether it is adequately braced or not. We would need to see measurements, joint detail, and know the material used, as well as determine the lateral forces that might be applied (wind shear, etc.) before we can know with any degree of certainty.

Given some basic assumptions I can envision scenarios where that bracing is sufficient and some where it is insufficient.