PDA

View Full Version : Two evaporator coils, one condenser

mathew stouffer
06-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Ok, two coils on the interior running off of one condenser. Is the a Jerry ( jerry no offense) rig or acceptable.

Nick Ostrowski
06-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Matt, is one of those lines T'd off the other?

Never saw that before.

mathew stouffer
06-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Yes it is and neither have I;) I just started laughing when I saw it.

mathew stouffer
06-10-2010, 07:07 AM
One HVAC sub said yes the other said no. What do you guys think.

Scott Patterson
06-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Logic would tell me that it is not a good thing..... I'm assuming that the coils are in differant parts of the home and are each controlled by their own t-stat. So if one calls for A/C the other would also get refrigerant, unless a valve has been installed to stop the flow of it to the coil that does not need it.

It is common on large commercial systems that have several air handlers, but those systems are designed for it. I guess it is possible that this system is as well, but who knows???

Did you get the brand and model number?

Jim Robinson
06-10-2010, 07:22 AM
I was thinking the same as Scott. Unless the air handlers were twinned, it could be a pretty drastically mismatched system. If they were twinned, then why bother with two air handlers?

Philip
06-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Would not Lennox have the answer. A quick call to the manufacturer or another Lennox dealer in the area should be able to answer this one.

Michael Thomas
06-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Saw one of these in a residential situtation a while back, and did some research on it, which I now cannot find.

Ended up that the arrangemewnt was blessed by the manufacturer (Carrier, as I recall), however this setup had a third-party valve installed to direct refrigerant to the air handlers as required.

Vern Heiler
06-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Matt, is one of those lines T'd off the other?

Never saw that before.

My wife's van has two evaporator coils and one condenser.... I bet you have see one before :D

Dom D'Agostino
06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
It's done all the time with ductless mini-splits, so I'm sure that the technique isn't too hard to figure out or install.

See examples here... (http://www.buyunit.com/categories/Ductless-Mini-Split-Heat-Pump/Two-Rooms/)

Jerry Peck
06-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I wonder if the system is certified by AHRI to meet the 13.00 SEER rating with either/or/both coils operating. If not ... that would be a no-no.

David Bell
06-11-2010, 04:25 AM
I only see one liquid line ,so it must split close to the coils. In certain situations, due to a lack of space, a single correctly sized coil will not fit. Two supply trunk ducts may be used with seperate H coils with TX valves. These ducts are not seperate zones unless dampered and then a solonoid valve would be required on each coil. Not seeing the model# of the condenser, so I cant tell if has a 2 stage compressor. As to the SEER rating, can't see the serial number to date the unit.

Jim Ellison
06-11-2010, 06:30 AM
I see two liquid lines and it looks like the return lines are joined before entering the compressor. I sure would like to know more about this one.

Phil Brody
06-11-2010, 06:35 AM
It can be and has been done many times, if designed correctly, At the looks at the size of the condenser I'd hope that that only one evaporator would be functional at one time through the appropriate valving. Did you get both zones to run simultaneously ?

Rod Butler
06-11-2010, 07:17 AM
It is not at all uncommon to have multiple evaporators on a single condensing unit. If it is sized incorrectly the problem could be frozen coils or lack of sufficient cooling. But then that is true of any system.