PDA

View Full Version : Sewer lines on exterior wall

Gary Mohel
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Is it proper to run sewer lines on the exterior wall of a house? This was done as part of a laundry addition at an older home.

Jerry Peck
06-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Nope. Not where run exposed.

Looks like you are above 'the freeze line', which is basically I-10, so those would need to be protected from freezing by insulation, heat tape, or both.

Besides being protected from physical damage, sunlight, etc.

Gary Mohel
06-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Does protection mean building a box around it or painting and insulating it? Thanks.

Markus Keller
06-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Don't know about Texas but in these here parts, painting or building a box around it is not considered proper protection.
Based on your question I will guess these are above grade sewer lines. Above grade or exposed no longer allowed here.
I'll defer ... AD where are you ... help the newbie out.

John Kogel
06-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Nope. Not where run exposed.

Looks like you are above 'the freeze line', which is basically I-10, so those would need to be protected from freezing by insulation, heat tape, or both.

Besides being protected from physical damage, sunlight, etc.This is no good then, huh? :)

Jerry Peck
06-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Does protection mean building a box around it or painting and insulating it? Thanks.

It means building a large enough box around it to allow for full exterior wall R-value insulation, and the box suitably strong enough to provide protection from physical damage, as though the box were the exterior wall made to continue out and around the piping.