PDA

View Full Version : Clearance between grade and TJI

mathew stouffer
06-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Is there a min clearnace requirement between grade and TJI's?

Trent Tarter
06-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Typicall building practices require 18 inch clearance between joists and soil below, and 12 inches between support beams and soil below. I would personally allow 12 inches if it was just a small area. As a WDO inspector this is condsidered a conducive condition for wood destroying insects and wood rot. Also I would be recommending a vapor barrier be installed on crawlspace ground.

Philip
06-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Trent, I think you nailed this one. Are seasoned builders doing this, or is this the first time for the builder. One of the most important facts you can find out is how many and how long has this builder been in the business. From the looks of how far the beams are from the dirt I would say this builder needs a slap on the head to wake him up. If he can not get this part of construction correct, what else happened under his supervision.:confused:

John Kogel
06-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Trent, I think you nailed this one. Are seasoned builders doing this, or is this the first time for the builder. One of the most important facts you can find out is how many and how long has this builder been in the business. From the looks of how far the beams are from the dirt I would say this builder needs a slap on the head to wake him up. If he can not get this part of construction correct, what else happened under his supervision.:confused:I suspect it's an add-on

Jane Slaughter
06-22-2010, 08:11 AM
This brings up a question I thought was somewhat related. (but maybe completely a different condition.)

I'm drawing plans for a house that is to have TJI's cantilevered outside/beyond the foundation and sheathed with 1/2"treated plywood.

Do I understand code still allows for as little as a 6"clearance if the untreated wood is outside the "periphery" of the foundation?