PDA

View Full Version : Trucks

Thom Walker
07-10-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm looking at replacing the truck. It will also be used for HI stuff.At the moment, my highest interset is either Honda Ridgeline RTL or Dodge Nitro RT. Both are 4x4. Does anyone own one and what is your opinion now that you have it? I need the 4x and I will be towing a boat. Properly equipped, both say they will tow 5000.

Matt Fellman
07-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Watch out on the manufacturer's tow ratings.... if you read the fine print most can only tow the max with literally nothing in the cab. I just weighed my Nissan Titan and travel trailer all loaded up and rolling to the campground. The advertised tow rating for the truck is 9400lbs.... the trailer was 7000 and I'm over my truck's max (truck, payload and tongue weight from the trailer) and with the two vehicles combined I'm right under the max truck/trailer combined max weight.

All the manufactures love to advertise big numbers but take them with grain of salt...

After rolling through the scale I realized I'm gonna either have to leave the wife or the beer cooler at home.... it's okay, the wife never liked camping that much anyhow.

Eric Van De Ven
07-13-2007, 05:38 AM
I'm looking at replacing the truck. It will also be used for HI stuff.At the moment, my highest interest is either Honda Ridgeline RTL or Dodge Nitro RT. Both are 4x4. Does anyone own one and what is your opinion now that you have it? I need the 4x and I will be towing a boat. Properly equipped, both say they will tow 5000.

Definitely be careful of the tow ratings. I seriously doubt that the Nitro will be able to tow much. Maybe a bass boat, camper or something along those lines. Besides that, it is just plain ugly!

The 4 x 4 is a good option, especially when pulling the boat out of certain boat ramps at low tide.

Here is some info on the Nitro: Edmunds.com - 2007 Dodge Nitro Research Reviews and Specs (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/dodge/nitro/100792527/researchlanding.html)

If you were to stick with Dodge, I would go with the SLT 1500 quad cab, if you want a truck,, or the Durango. I have a Durango with the HEMI and it will pull your house down! I think they have finally ironed out most of the issues they had with them when they were redesigned in 2004.

Edmunds.com - 2007 Dodge Durango Research Reviews and Specs (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/dodge/durango/100812872/researchlanding.html)

Dave Bush
07-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Thom, I have the Honda Ridgeline and from a HI perspective it is great, the trunk in the bed is a great place to lock up tools, the back seat is a 60/40 split seat so you can fold one of the seats up if needed, etc. The 4wd is not a true 4wd; it is a push button 4wd that can be used in 1st or 2nd gear only for fwd or reverse. It can be used until 15 mph, but it works great for getting you out of stuck spots. I get 18 mpg average. I pull my Coachmen 21' camper behind it, it pulls it, but doesn't particularly like doing it much over 65 mph. I usually get about 10 mpg when I am pulling it. Hope this helps.

Eric Van De Ven
07-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Thom, I have the Honda Ridgeline and from a HI perspective it is great, the trunk in the bed is a great place to lock up tools, the back seat is a 60/40 split seat so you can fold one of the seats up if needed, etc. The 4wd is not a true 4wd; it is a push button 4wd that can be used in 1st or 2nd gear only for fwd or reverse. It can be used until 15 mph, but it works great for getting you out of stuck spots. I get 18 mpg average. I pull my Coachmen 21' camper behind it, it pulls it, but doesn't particularly like doing it much over 65 mph. I usually get about 10 mpg when I am pulling it. Hope this helps.

That is interesting Dave. The Durango gets 12 mpg towing my boat. It also gets around 17-18 combined driving and at 65, 20 mpg. It will also tow it up to the speedo limiter, not that I would want to tow anything at 105 mph, but I am sure it could do it. I usually don't go any faster than 75.When I tow my boat, at times, you forget it is back there. The boat and trailer weigh about 4,500 lbs.

Thom, it will depend on what you are going to tow as to what vehicle you are going to get. For me, I always thought it was better to get something a little bit bigger to tow with than smaller.

Thom Walker
07-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the comments, all. I'm leaning toward the Honda and picking up a cheapo tough something for the infrequent boat hauling.

What I have now is the 2004 Dodge 1500 Quad cab 4x4 with a long bed. It is simply the worst towing vehicle I've ever owned. Fast, great 4x4, but couldn't tow worth squat. It's also the only vehicle I've ever owned that gets worse mileage after break in than before it. 12.4 around town and 14.4 on the road. It is also the noisiest cab I've ever had; mainly wind noise.

I'm aware of the manufacturer exaggeration capabilities. I'm living with it. I should have stayed with minimum 3/4 ton something, but oh well. I came out of a one ton GMC and I think my expectations for the Dodge were too high.

Eric Van De Ven
07-14-2007, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the comments, all. I'm leaning toward the Honda and picking up a cheapo tough something for the infrequent boat hauling.

What I have now is the 2004 Dodge 1500 Quad cab 4x4 with a long bed. It is simply the worst towing vehicle I've ever owned. Fast, great 4x4, but couldn't tow worth squat. It's also the only vehicle I've ever owned that gets worse mileage after break in than before it. 12.4 around town and 14.4 on the road. It is also the noisiest cab I've ever had; mainly wind noise.

I'm aware of the manufacturer exaggeration capabilities. I'm living with it. I should have stayed with minimum 3/4 ton something, but oh well. I came out of a one ton GMC and I think my expectations for the Dodge were too high.

I am not surprised about the mileage. The 4 x 4s get poor mileage. What size miter do you have? I am surprised about the towing. That truck weighs almost as much as my Durango (5,300 lbs).

The Dodges do have a tendency to be noisy as far as the wind goes. Other trucks do as well. Try this, roll down the rear windows halfway at about 60 mph. You should get to experience "The helicopter effect"!

Bruce King
07-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Lots of good info about trucks and towing issues on RV.net at RV.Net Open Roads Forum (http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm)