PDA

View Full Version : GE Protimeter moisture meter

C.Johnson
06-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Anyone use a GE Protimeter moisture meter on there inspections, was curious if they are really worth the money or do you recomend something better in comparison for value.
Thanks for any input!

Scott Patterson
06-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Anyone use a GE Protimeter moisture meter on there inspections, was curious if they are really worth the money or do you recomend something better in comparison for value.
Thanks for any input!

The Protimeter SM is one of the best meters you can get. I have had one for about 10 years. Yes, they cost a few dollars but you get what you pay for.

C.Johnson
06-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Thanks Scott that is the exact one i was looking at.:D

Nick Ostrowski
06-30-2010, 07:34 AM
CJ, +1 on what Scott said. I had a cheapo moisture meter for years and upgraded to the Protimeter SM a few years ago. It ran me about $450.00 plus shipping but it has been well worth it.

Michael Thomas
06-30-2010, 09:14 AM
The PT (subsurface mode) woks better on ceramic tile, the Tramex on drywall, I carry and end up using both at most inspections.

I have the PT with both the subsurface and pin modes, the extension cable for the pins are really handy.

Glenn Duxbury
07-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi (all) &

* That's ALL I would use - best I've ever found & "no complaints" !

Consider that opinion 'seconded'...

CHEERS !

Jason Rockler
07-04-2010, 04:19 PM
It looks like you all agree to stay away from the cheap meters. No argument here.

Instead of a protimeter, though, I'd definitely say go with a Wagner. Probably their BI 2200 (http://www.wagnermeters.com/product.php?category=2&id=18), but definitely a Wagner for accuracy. The pinless feature of the protimeter is way to sensitive for surface moisture and will give you too many false positives. Wagner cancels that out.
The pin side of the protimeter is probably better than most pin-type meters out there, but I'd recommend against a pin meter.

For a less biased look at the ups and downs of pin-vs-pinless meters, I'd recommend going to MoistureMeters.com (http://www.moisturemeters.com), then to their Moisture Meter Technology page.

As a inspector, IMAO, you can't get by without at least a meter with a pinless feature, but let me know if anyone says different. Anyway, I say go with a Wagner for accuracy, but a Protimeter SM if you have some (irrational) fear of Wagner.