PDA

View Full Version : Flue material

RobertSmith
07-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Is the flexible flue material (back of water heater) allowed to be used ?

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Note title of the thread: Flue material.

Question: Does any of this "material" go overtop of the WH jacket? Looks like it. SO NO, not there. I gots me some proximity and temperature "issues" to the WH installation.

Question: See problems or concerns with the vent connection to the WH? I DO (a few). Lets start with the size of the connector to the draft hood, lack of screws, the bent, off-set draft hood, and combustibles on top of the WH jacket (saw dust) to start, before we explore the first question above relative the encroachment on the no-no zone above the WH.
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/heating-ventilation-air-conditioning-hvac-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/18691d1278974091-flue-material-dsc00592.jpg

Bob Harper
07-12-2010, 07:13 PM
If listed and labeled as a vent connector AND installed to the listing, which precludes downhill runs to the exhaust. Also must be properly sized, which I doubt this is.

No screws to WH draft hood, probably because no draft hood connector used. Draft hood has been knocked cattywhampus (technical term).

Jerry Peck
07-12-2010, 07:14 PM

To be used for what?

Looks like it is being used as a Type B gas vent, it must be listed for that use (as Aaron said), it also MUST NOT go downhill, which it looks like it is doing.

I am also not sure that even if listed for that use that it is listed for horizontal installation ... Bob Harper?

David Bell
07-13-2010, 04:38 AM
Looks like chimney sleeve to me and I don't think you are supposed to put a 90 degree bend in it. As for the water heater, looks like a 4" pipe on a 3" draft hood.