PDA

View Full Version : Hood Fan electrical question

Shawn Willy
07-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Greetings,

It has been a while since I have been in an old home. Here is my cause and I would love a solution.

There is a basement suite with an old stove which is hard wired. They want the old range removed and a new range put in with a plug. This much I know how to do.

THE PROBLEM IS...

They want to install a hood fan with their new range. They went ahead and put the ducting in for one but never put wires in. They have just finished drywalling, sanding and painting. They do not wish to damage their hard work too much.

MY QUESTION IS...

Is it at all possible (code-wise) to pull the electrical for the new hood fan off of the range circuit some how?

Dom D'Agostino
07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
In short, no.

Any reasonably skilled electrician can pull the necessary wiring, from an approved location, without tearing up the walls. That's their forte, so let them do it for you.

P.S.

Someone smart enough to rough-in an exhaust duct surely anticipated needing electrical connections for a hood. I'd check all the work carefully.

Dom.

David Bell
07-14-2010, 02:22 PM
There are a few sidewall fans available that may suit thier needs, all of which may or may not clear local codes. This is one of the few times I would reach out to a town inspector and ask his or her opinion. At the very least you will find out the barebones requirement. By the way the fans I have talked about all require thier own switch,I don't believe you will find a residential fan with a prove switch that will stop your range from working,as most ranges do not require exhaust.

James Duffin
07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Some ranges have built in fans that raises up out of the back of the range when needed. This may be one option for your client. I've never wired one so I'm not sure where they get their power from.

David Bell
07-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Some ranges have built in fans that raises up out of the back of the range when needed. This may be one option for your client. I've never wired one so I'm not sure where they get their power from.
The ranges I have seen with this feature vent out thru the bottom of the range, and are normally seen on island installs. They tend to be more of a nuisance exhaust than a hood type.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Jump right in with the DIY advice why don't you. ;)

David Bell
07-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Jump right in with the DIY advice why don't you. ;)
And your input is more insightful? GFYS

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-14-2010, 05:39 PM
And your input is more insightful? GFYS

David Bell,

My comment was not solely directed to you (singular) it was neither addressed to you (singular), it was referring to you (plural), you (singular) included.

The OP is a repeat DIYer (and not a nice one) "persona". D.A. gave an appropriate and polite response.

As far as the GFYS comment (you quoted my post, so obviously was directed to me as an individual), no thank you. I have neither the need, inclination, nor desire to.

COOL IT.