PDA

View Full Version : This doesn't look correct

stanley frost
07-19-2010, 04:19 PM
i inspected a condo today and found this in the service panel. It doesn't look correct, i don't think the terminal/lug is listed for multi / tapps.Not sure and would like input from some of the more experinced HI's. There is no ground bus bar.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-19-2010, 04:59 PM
"Mike"

Of course its not right.

Even when a terminal is allowed to have multiple conductors, they have to be of the same size and type.

You have a large stranded ground and solid wires of differing sizes.

Never would you find a panel with terminals rated for that many, let alone different types and size conductors in the same terminal.

It is an unsatisfactory condition and is deficient.

paul hardy
07-19-2010, 05:02 PM
The lug should be stamped with the number and size of conductors allowed that lug I would guess from installing many simular lugs only allows one conductor from a #6 to 1/0.

chris mcintyre
07-19-2010, 05:08 PM
There is no ground bus bar.

One could be added.

stanley frost
07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks guy's. Love this site.

Jerry Peck
07-25-2010, 06:22 PM
One could be added.

Yes, but it must be a proper ground terminal bar for that enclosure and manufacturer and it must be properly added (most are not when added after the fact to older panels).

James Duffin
07-25-2010, 07:34 PM
The only time I call out a grounding lug that has been added is if it has been mounted with sheet metal screws. If it is bolted to the panel or installed into a tapped hole it is installed properly IMHO. That is why lugs are made and sold...to be installed where they are needed.

Randy Aldering
07-26-2010, 10:18 AM
I will agree that there should be a ground bus, and this lug should not be used this way. Is this a subpanel?

stanley frost
07-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Randy,
Yes it's a "sub panel" The main service panel was a nightmare. enclosed in an exterior utility closet, Appox 10' off the ground and i couldn't get in to look at it & 1970's FPE panel. You can imagine the shape it was in, this unit is next to the Gulf of Mexico.

Jerry Peck
07-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Is this a subpanel?

Nope, looks like it is in a house to me, that makes it a "house panel". :p :D

stanley frost
07-27-2010, 04:50 AM
Bill, It was written up. As you can see in the pic. there wasn't room for me to get my head in the closet ( the main panel is above the meter all the way to the left). I don't understand why they let them do it like this around here but I see it more often than not.