PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 TYPE STO WIRE

sidney alstad
07-23-2010, 08:18 AM
am re-posting this to the correct section. wire insulation states "2/4 type sto" and is connected to 100 amp breaker at main distribution panel to sub panel in attic with 2 60 amp breakers for the air handler. have never seen this before, how common is this?

sid

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-23-2010, 09:18 AM
am re-posting this to the correct section. wire insulation states "2/4 type sto" and is connected to 100 amp breaker at main distribution panel to sub panel in attic with 2 60 amp breakers for the air handler. have never seen this before, how common is this?

sid

See comment below picture.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/electrical-systems-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/18866d1279898149-2-4-type-sto-wire-hpim6299.jpg

I just don't know where to begin! I am overwhelmed with the issues in the first three pictures! I guess the thing to do is point out the obvious and focus on your thread title "2/4 TYPE STO WIRE"

This is not WIRE, this is not CABLE, this is CORD, Hard Service Cord though it may be. It is not a permited wiring method for this application (feeder).

This is not a portable or pendant application. This is not a Chapter 4 application.

How about Chapters 1, 2, 3 & 4 of NFPA 70 (NEC), and take a peek at Table 400.4.

Lets try this (see attached pdf for easy to read table of identifying CORD markings):

James Duffin
07-23-2010, 10:10 AM
It doesn't look like STO cable is rated to be used as a feeder conductor.

400.7 Uses Permitted.
(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for
the following:
(1) Pendants
(2) Wiring of luminaires
(3) Connection of portable luminaires, portable and mobile
signs, or appliances
(4) Elevator cables
(5) Wiring of cranes and hoists
(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent
interchange
(7) Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration
(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical
connections are specifically designed to permit
ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the
appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord
connection
(9) Connection of moving parts
(10) Where specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code

Michael Thomas
07-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Those neutrals: Holy Kazoozous! That's a veritable catalog of defects right there.

I would defer both those panels and everything in between to an exorcist.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-23-2010, 10:21 AM
That neutral: Holy Kazoozous!

Yeah no kidding. So much to "see" in those photos to just stop you in your tracks, scratch head, and say, "Hmmm... Just where do I start?, What can I presume he already knows or sees for himself?"

Unfortunately, being the non-perfect world that residential is, crazy, nutty, stupid, unsafe, unqualified, poorly executed work; inappropriate materials, etc. is frequently encountered by the average Home Inspector, be it new construction, or long-time existing dwelling, I think that's fair to say. Although age isn't a true litmus test, I think it is also fair to say that generally, the older the dwelling, the more likely one is to find more "interesting" examples of such encounters.

Robert Mattison
07-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Great job on cover the use portable cords, H.G. I like how you get right
to the point. And as always thanks for joining in. Robert

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks Robert, I try.

I just hope Sidney Alsted finds it helpful. Without feed-back I'm not sure if his question(s) were answered, he finds/found it helpful; and if not, if he knows he is welcome to follow-up. I've been told my directness & writing style can be perceived as harsh, :confused: :eek: , but it isn't intended (usually);) .

sidney alstad
07-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Thank you Mr Watson. I just returned from a long day on the inspection trail. Nothing unusual today, but I was wondering if the cord you stated was at one time suitable for feeding a sub panel?

Sid

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-23-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't recall ST or STO(il resistant) Cord as ever having been an approved use or method for such a (residential, dwelling, not elevator-or lift-related) permanent (non-temporary) feeder, no.

*p.s. not certain ever approved even for that (lift or elevator, residential feeder) possiblity.

Rollie Meyers
07-23-2010, 06:13 PM
In addition to the cord issue & the funky method of connecting the neutral that others have brought up, that is a 1970's I-T-E Imperial Corp. panel full of Bryant BR frame breakers, I see only the GFCI circuit breaker being a I-T-E....

sidney alstad
07-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Exactly, condo was constructed in 1973.

Michael Thomas
07-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately, being the non-perfect world that residential is, crazy, nutty, stupid, unsafe, unqualified, poorly executed work; inappropriate materials, etc...

... and let's not forget the people who decide to add a new trade on the side, as for example at this afternoons inspection, where the AC guy decides he's also an electrician...

And - what the hell - let's throw in the neutrals from this one too, while we are at it...

Jon Errickson
07-24-2010, 06:52 AM
What's the vinyl vent connected to?

sidney alstad
07-24-2010, 07:25 PM
What's the vinyl vent connected to?

Flexible vinyl is for the dryer venting snaked around the attic.

James Duffin
07-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Flexible vinyl is for the dryer venting snaked around the attic.

Hope you wrote that up too...