PDA

View Full Version : vinyl on less than vertical surface?

Randall Clark
07-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Subject house has a two-story sun room and top room is of a smaller footprint that lower. So there is an angled section, like a short shed roof, at approximately 30 degrees. I have the VSI manual and can't find any mention allowing/disallowing this. I don't think you should do this for several reasons but can't find documentation to support it. Standing seam metal roofing or other would be great here.

chris mcintyre
07-24-2010, 11:21 AM
I would call it a roof, so I say, no vinyl siding should not be used there. I see a lot of other things going on that are not right, looks like a DIY gem.

Is the upstairs door operable?

Randall Clark
07-24-2010, 11:23 AM
I would call it a roof, so I say, no vinyl siding should not be used there. I see a lot of other things going on that are not right, looks like a DIY gem.

Is the upstairs door operable?

Thanks. You like that door huh? I call it the suicide door (like an old Lincoln). Yes, it is operable.

Michael Thomas
07-24-2010, 11:31 AM
IMO it's wise to explain to clients that ALL vinyl siding is a decorative - not a water proof - material - and that in EVERY case it is must be installed with the understanding that substantial amounts of water will get behind it.