PDA

View Full Version : I can see a shadow of the stud behind the drywall.

Andy Jarchow
07-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Hello all,

Not sure if you can see the pic well. While doing my inspection I noticed I could see a shadow of the 2x4s behind the drywall.

Is this an indication of a problem?

What would cause this?

Could it be a moisture issue behind the drywall? :confused:

Thank you for your help!

Richard Soundy
07-27-2010, 09:45 AM
This is known as "ghosting". It is basically a build up of dust and soot that clings to the walls/ceilings due to static flow via the studs. It is not a problem, just a reminder to keep your home and air clean!

All the best - Richard

Andy Jarchow
07-27-2010, 09:50 AM
This is known as "ghosting". It is basically a build up of dust and soot that clings to the walls/ceilings due to static flow via the studs. It is not a problem, just a reminder to keep your home and air clean!

All the best - Richard

Never heard of that. Thank you I learned something today! :)

mk

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Hello all,

Not sure if you can see the pic well. While doing my inspection I noticed I could see a shadow of the 2x4s behind the drywall.

Is this an indication of a problem?

What would cause this?

Could it be a moisture issue behind the drywall? :confused:

Thank you for your help!

Yep, it could and likely is under, behind and within the wall cavity.

Condensation, lack of a thermal break, lack of a membrane at wall plate, moisture wicking, infiltration, etc. are all possiblities in the Wisconsin full basement exterior wall shown with stud "ghosting" full height of the wall.

Thomas McKay
07-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Sure would check with a moisture meter first might indicate the need for thermal imaging. Looks like a finished basement. :confused:

Thomas W. McKay
ASHI Certified Inspector

Andy Jarchow
07-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Sure would check with a moisture meter first might indicate the need for thermal imaging. Looks like a finished basement. :confused:

Thomas W. McKay
ASHI Certified Inspector

Yes this is a finished basement.

Stuart Brooks
07-27-2010, 04:57 PM
FYI: Check this document from Building Journal Digest. It may answer your question. I had a inspection of a house last winter that had an unvented gas log appliance that was pouring soot into the house. The lady of the house also loved burning candles. There were dark stripes and patches all over the walls and ceilings. I've also seen discussions about this subject at other times on this site. I just had to find out what was causing it and a web search came up with this document.

BSD-150: Black Stains on Carpets and Ghosting of Framing — Building Science Information (http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-150-black-stains-on-carpets-and-ghosting-of-framing?topic=doctypes/digests)

Andy Jarchow
07-27-2010, 06:54 PM
FYI: Check this document from Building Journal Digest. It may answer your question. I had a inspection of a house last winter that had an unvented gas log appliance that was pouring soot into the house. The lady of the house also loved burning candles. There were dark stripes and patches all over the walls and ceilings. I've also seen discussions about this subject at other times on this site. I just had to find out what was causing it and a web search came up with this document.

BSD-150: Black Stains on Carpets and Ghosting of Framing — Building Science Information (http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-150-black-stains-on-carpets-and-ghosting-of-framing?topic=doctypes/digests)
Interesting

I guess the best thing to do is check the area with a moisture meter and if it appears dry in the wall it would be safe to assume it’s soot. :rolleyes:

Thank you all!

mk