PDA

View Full Version : Working w/concrete

mark petty
07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Florida location: Never done any concrete work but have done everything else. I'll be building footers and block piers for a stilt home. My Question is: is it feasible to use a small mixer and buy mortar mix in bags for setting block and also using bags for footers (for piers). For footers, what PSI is required. I will not have any help with this and was wondering if I could save money by doing this stage w/o the use of a contractor. Thanks, Mark

John Arnold
07-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Mark - Someone else may have some helpful advice, but in general, this is not a DIY site.

Jim Robinson
07-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Bags will cost you a lot more, probably three times as much per yard of concrete, maybe more. Can you not get a truck in to deliver mixed concrete to the footers and piers? If you can get a mixer and get the raw ingredients delivered to the site, you'll save a lot of money over bags. For laying block it's not as significant, since you won't use as much mud, but still will cost more.

The other questions make me wonder if you are really ready for this type of project. Messing up a foundation makes for a whole lot of problems later on down the line.

mark petty
07-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Jim, you're absolutey correct, I'm not ready yet, but will be by the time I receive all the info needed. I've built stick built homes from the sill up but always farmed out any concrete work, and admit I have much to learn on the subject, but that won't stop me. I really enjoy doing what my mother-out-law says I'm not qualified to do. Thanks for your reply, I'm build on this. Mark

Rick Cantrell
07-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Mark
A word of advice. Check with your AHJ to see if they will allow bags. Some only want you to use delivered ready mix.

mark petty
07-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks Rick, will do

Gabe S
07-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Ask your local building department what the requirements are and the codes they follow.

If you have to change something after inspection it will cost more more than just hiring it out. That's something to consider.

Markus Keller
07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
I still have my old typical motorized barrel mixer on wheels with a trailer hitch to hitch to the back of the truck. These days it mostly sits in the backyard covered. When I was doing porches it got a good workout. It isn't cost effective to use delivery for piers/footings for porches or decks. Our 42" footings take about 2-3 bags per hole. I would not go back to a tub and shovels. Besides cost, delivery doesn't generally work due to access for this type of work.
For retaining walls or pads around/under porches the mixer won't work. You can't mix fast enough to keep from getting cold joints or a good final product
Hope that helps.

chris mcintyre
07-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Around here 3000 psi is used for footings. Sacrete makes a 4000 psi mix (I think) we have used it to add a pier that was needed but I don't think I would want to trust it for a house on stilts.

As already mentioned cold joints, and a proper mix (to much or not enough water greatly affects psi) can be a big problem with using the bag mix.

mark petty
07-29-2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks everyone, all good info for a rookie