PDA

View Full Version : Roofing and Attic Ventilation - Houston Tx

imported_John Smith
07-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Saw this while driving through a neighborhood in Houston and had to stop and whip out my camera.

These photos were taken today July 13th 2007.

Notice the condition of the shingles and the owners commitment to home maintenance by putting trash bags and tape over the "whirly birds".

Was the covering of the turbines due to water penetration into the home (maybe has something to do with the crappy roof?), or was the homeowner worried about losing AC out of the roof.

Richard Rushing
07-13-2007, 04:10 PM
John,

What I think you are looking at is the remenants of hurricane Rita (05). This just didn't happen over time...

Look at the garge... this is the windward view of the roof. It appears that the trash bag was to assist with keeping water from soaking the attic-- they just never took it off.

I wonder what they did with the in-surance check??

Rich

M Kelekci
07-13-2007, 05:41 PM
John,

What I think you are looking at is the remenants of hurricane Rita (05).

Rich

Houston did not get hit by hurricane Rita. Mostly Buamont area got hit.

imported_John Smith
07-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Richard,
You have a good theory, but believe it or not, this roof has looked like this for at least 5 years. I drive by this house quite a bit. I have always said I was going to take a picture of it, but never got around to it until today.

The garbage bags over dem whirleeburds are a fairly recent addition. They were installed sometime in the past 2 months. Of course, we have had a lot of rain in Houston......

Note the step ladder near the gable. Maybe they are getting ready to try and cover it too.

imported_John Smith
07-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Matt is exactly right. This particular area of town never even lost power. I have some friends that live fairly near this house (just this house is kind of ran down, the rest of the neighborhood isnt too bad) and they didnt suffer any damage from Rita.

BARRY ADAIR
07-28-2007, 06:20 AM
So, Houston has Grove-Rats?

I thought we were the only ones to be distinguished with that honor.

Richard Rushing
07-28-2007, 07:09 AM
That's some Funny sheeiit Barry...

Boy, I hate working the grove. Happens every winter :D

RR

imported_John Smith
07-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Guys, you gotta let us in on the "grove rat" thing.

BARRY ADAIR
07-29-2007, 05:49 AM
Guys, you gotta let us in on the "grove rat" thing.

Pleasant Grove is a part of Dallas. Folks from these parts are known as grove rats

Think or imagine if you will a few steps below trailer trash in a residential neighborhood.

Richard Rushing
07-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Geeze Barry... now everyone will try and take this business away from us :D

Rick Hurst
07-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Barry,

Do you know what the difference is between a girl from the Grove and a bowling ball?

Rick

Nolan Kienitz
07-29-2007, 07:06 PM
RR,

Winter is not that many months off. UR welcome to "winter in the Grove". I've spent too many hours/days over there this summer. Kind of filled up my quota !!

:D:D:o:o

Rick Hurst
07-29-2007, 07:13 PM
The last time I did a HI in the Grove it did not have the water, electricity, or the gas on and hadn't for several months I was told.

Yet it was occupied.

They had dragged a Portie-Potty up into the back yard from a construction site.

I still wake up in the night thinking about that one.