PDA

View Full Version : creek at the back of house

Peter Louis
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
the house is at the foot of hill. there is a 6 feet wide creek without too much water at this time about 3 to 6 feet next to the backyard in the hill side. I am not sure this creek would have any effects on this property or not? Thank you

Elliot Franson
08-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I would recommend a consult with the surveyor and the local authority in charge of the land upon which the creek runs to determine flood plain, average water flow and overflow of the creek, et al.

wayne soper
08-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Go talk to the neighbors. Have to meet them anyway. They may have seen some things.

Rick Hurst
08-10-2010, 08:59 PM
How's the fishing in this creek? You should always have your rod & reel handy to let the buyer know what to expect.:)
rick

Nick Ostrowski
08-11-2010, 06:13 AM
the house is at the foot of hill. there is a 6 feet wide creek without too much water at this time about 3 to 6 feet next to the backyard in the hill side. I am not sure this creek would have any effects on this property or not? Thank you

Are you inspecting the house or a potential buyer?

Peter Louis
08-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Are you inspecting the house or a potential buyer?

inspecting for a potential buyer. Actually, I talked to 2 senior inspectors. They have different view. One said it is not good for the possibility of soil erosion. The other said it is good. the water & mud running down the hill goes into the creek other than have any adverse effect on the house.

Randy Mayo
08-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Peter

It depends on the volume of water you can expect within a period of time. To determine the flooding potential you will have to know a few things:

1.) How many acres drain into that creek upstream from that house?
2.) How far is it from the house upstream to a point where the water enters that watershed.
3.) What type of land does the water travel over to get to the creek? Farm land, heavy forested land, or paved city streets.
4.) What rainfall event do you want to design for? 10, 25, 50 or 100 year flood event?

The neighbors will only be able to recall flood events that occurred since they lived there. I would also check to see if the house is in FEMA's 100 year flood map. I would also refer to a Hydrologist for the calculations and avoid giving any opinion on whether or not this creek was a problem.