PDA

View Full Version : Roots in crawl space

mathew stouffer
08-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Never seen this before. Thought the roots were going to attack me while I was down there crawling around, like in the Evil Dead movie;) Do you recommend removal of the tree. This was an addition built in 06. The roots are from a williow tree, and in another ten years they might be slightly larger.

Jim Luttrall
08-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I would recommend removing the entire tree or at least adding a root barrier. I'll bet my more learned pest control buddies will have something to add about the roots.

wayne soper
08-10-2010, 08:40 PM
I typically use Arbroretum in place of crawlspace when describing homes like that one.:D

Rick Hurst
08-10-2010, 08:50 PM
A willow tree is about the most useless tree placed here on Earth with the exception it helps put food on the table of many Plumbers. The roots are notorious for entering into old drain lines and causing havoc.

Adding a root barrier is totally impractical of a weeping willow as the roots will get around the barrier easily.

Taking the tree down may even be a worse idea as the roots are filled with water and will decay away leaving many voids below the foundation wall and cause possible foundation failure.

The best thing would be to call a local Realtor and dump this place.

rick

David Garton
08-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Never seen this before. Thought the roots were going to attack me while I was down there crawling around, like in the Evil Dead movie;) Do you recommend removal of the tree. This was an addition built in 06. The roots are from a williow tree, and in another ten years they might be slightly larger.

Remove the tree before roots get bigger and hope for the best

Trent Tarter
08-10-2010, 09:37 PM
I would report on the roots in crawlspace and that the tree is close to the foundation. I would advise removing tree before structural damage occurs.

mathew stouffer
08-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Its only 4 years old, the addition, so hopefully the roots are not too large under the footings.

brian schmitt
08-11-2010, 01:09 PM
you all are obviously missing the point of this tree. it is part of the green building movement and acts as a natural moisture barrier under the house eliminating the need for visquine. the roots are naturally and organically removing any moisture that may appear under the structure.:D