PDA

View Full Version : Pool Light Alternative

Philippe Heller
08-18-2010, 06:18 AM
I did an inspection on a pool and the pool light did not work. After a while, the seller admitted that when the decking had been installed years ago the contractor crushed the conduit and the wire. As a result, they cannot re-wire this light without spending a couple thousand dollars.

Question from the buyer is; other than tearing up the decking and fixing the conduit, is there an alternative to having an in-pool light? Such as flood lights around the pool?

Elliot Franson
08-18-2010, 09:33 AM
I did an inspection on a pool and the pool light did not work. After a while, the seller admitted that when the decking had been installed years ago the contractor crushed the conduit and the wire. As a result, they cannot re-wire this light without spending a couple thousand dollars.

Question from the buyer is; other than tearing up the decking and fixing the conduit, is there an alternative to having an in-pool light? Such as flood lights around the pool?

Amazon.com: Intex Krystal Clear Floating LED Pool Light: Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal-Clear-Floating-Light/dp/B001IWNDEO)

H.G. Watson, Sr.
08-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Other than tearing out and reworking the pool shell, or removing the pool altogether, as I understand and recall the provisions of the pool and energy sections of the California code, there is no other alternative to restoring the pool light to a restored to present code condition. Of course you could check with local county if unincorporated, and municpality if incorporated to confirm.

IIRC, rulings long ago included decisions on what a pool not having a pool light really meant equated to a pool not having a pool light meaning there is no light fixture, light housing, light casing, or recessed light niche within the confines of the pool shell. If the pool has a light housing in the wall of the pool, it must be repaired to present standards with permit and inspection, regardless of condition.

Property Insurance underwriter and umbrella underwriter may have further requirements.

James Duffin
08-18-2010, 10:57 AM

If that is a wet niche pool light the conduit has water in it at the same level as the water level in the pool. If the conduit is crushed it is probably leaking. That is another problem to consider besides the light not working.