PDA

View Full Version : Overflow discharge pipe at TPR valve

sidney alstad
08-18-2010, 04:54 PM
I know that the overflow discharge pipe is not supposed to have any obstructions and should terminate above the floor, but sometimes you see the TPR valve located on the top of the hot water heater with a 90 degree bend to make the turn towards the floor. Today's inspection had the TPR valve on the side, and had 3 90 degree bends, and terminated through the exterior wall into an exterior closet. I am going to write this up as improper. Am I correct in my diagnosis?

Gunnar Alquist
08-18-2010, 05:44 PM
I know that the overflow discharge pipe is not supposed to have any obstructions and should terminate above the floor, but sometimes you see the TPR valve located on the top of the hot water heater with a 90 degree bend to make the turn towards the floor. Today's inspection had the TPR valve on the side, and had 3 90 degree bends, and terminated through the exterior wall into an exterior closet. I am going to write this up as improper. Am I correct in my diagnosis?

sidney,

Max of 4 90 degree ells and not to exceed 30 feet long. Not sure if that 30 feet is required to be reduced by a factor for each ell.

sidney alstad
08-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Thank you Mr Alquist.