PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hardiplank installation

Jim Ingebrigtsen
08-22-2010, 01:10 PM
The house I inspected yesterday had the pre-finished (I think) hardiplank siding, and I have some questions about the installation. I have reviewed the Hardiplank install instructions, but I need further clarification/hand-holding.

There was no caulking/sealant where the siding meets the trim- I know it needs it there, but not at the butt joints(assuming they're flashed properly). Nice gap!

The window and door trim should also be caulked where they meet the siding, right?

Should the trim above these windows be caulked, or should Z flashing have been installed above the trim?

The siding edges around the penetrations don't look like they were primed/painted after cutting, as well as not being sealed/caulked.

Am I on the right track with what I'm seeing/calling out?

Thanks much!
Jim

chris mcintyre
08-22-2010, 05:59 PM
The house I inspected yesterday had the pre-finished (I think) hardiplank siding,...

It looks like it has been painted to me and not the prefinished judging from the nails, cuts around the PVC and the joint on the trim at the basement window.

There was no caulking/sealant where the siding meets the trim- I know it needs it there, but not at the butt joints(assuming they're flashed properly).

Correct.

The window and door trim should also be caulked where they meet the siding, right?

Right.

Should the trim above these windows be caulked, or should Z flashing have been installed above the trim?

Flashing, yes. Caulking, no.

The siding edges around the penetrations don't look like they were primed/painted after cutting, as well as not being sealed/caulked.

Per installation instructions cut edges are required to be primed, painted or caulked. So butt joints in the siding should be primed or painted, and since caulking is required where the siding butts trim, priming or painting is not required.

Matt Fellman
08-22-2010, 06:58 PM
It also depends when and where the siding is/was installed. The butt joint installation changed a few years ago. Basically old style is caulking, newer installations have no caulking but have flashing strips behind the joints.

I believe James Hardie has different specs for different geographical places in the country so be sure you're looking at the right ones for your area.

Judy Henninger
08-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Was any caulk used on this house? I don't see any in these photos! Also, in photo #34 it looks like they tried to nail the board (unsuccessfully) into the cinder block. That can't be good! Judy

Neil Hunter
08-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Having recently completed a whole structure with hardieplank, it looks like this installation is very poorly executed. Previous posts are quite correct as regards caulking. The siding should meet at the corners and the corner trim put over the siding and then all the gaps between the trim and the siding should be caulked. The hardieplank instructions state that the siding must be painted to protect it since it will absorb too much moisture if left unpainted compromising the integrity of the material.

Brandon Whitmore
08-23-2010, 11:02 AM
The siding should meet at the corners and the corner trim put over the siding

That is not the go to method in this area, and definitely not a requirement. Otherwise, I agree with other posters.

Jim Ingebrigtsen
08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks for your help, all!
Jim

Jerry Peck
08-23-2010, 04:41 PM
The siding should meet at the corners and the corner trim put over the siding and then all the gaps between the trim and the siding should be caulked.

That is not the go to method in this area, and definitely not a requirement. Otherwise, I agree with other posters.

Not only is that not the go to method there, but that is not the correct method anywhere, not according to the James Hardie HardiePlank installation instructions, either the HZ5 or the HZ10 installation instructions (refer to Figure 1 in both).
http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/install/hardieplank-hz5.pdf
http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/install/hardieplank-hz10.pdf

Trim boards are designed and intended to be placed against, and nailed to, a flat surface, not a sloped surface as one would get from trying to install the trim over the horizontal planks.

Matt Fellman
08-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Was any caulk used on this house? I don't see any in these photos! Also, in photo #34 it looks like they tried to nail the board (unsuccessfully) into the cinder block. That can't be good! Judy

Hi Judy... welcome to the board. I checked out your website and it looks like you do some pretty nice stuff. I'm often looking for companies in your field to refer but can't find you registered with Oregon's Contractor Board. Do you have a CCB #? Also, do you have the latest lead paint training and certification for working on these old houses?

Judy Henninger
08-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Hi Judy... welcome to the board. I checked out your website and it looks like you do some pretty nice stuff. I'm often looking for companies in your field to refer but can't find you registered with Oregon's Contractor Board. Do you have a CCB #? Also, do you have the latest lead paint training and certification for working on these old houses?

Hi Matt! Thanks for your interest in my website. I recently moved back to Oregon from California where I've been licensed for 8 years. While I'm not currently licensed in Oregon, I plan to take the exam by the end of this year. Until then, I'll be working as as interior caulker for Aspen Siding (my son works for Aspen and suggested I go to work for them after I pretty much replaced all the caulk in his house!). Check back on my website in the near future. And yes, I will be taking the lead paint course!

Best Regards, Judy :cool:

kenny martin
08-24-2010, 11:42 AM
All the Hardi-Plank I installed was w/ a grain finish, never seen it smooth, also if you look at the cuts it doesn'yt look like Hardi either. Hardi is a fibreous cenment board and cuts very smoot w/ no curling of edges.. either way it's all wrong and needs to be caulked etc..

Jerry Peck
08-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Anyone heard of this company?
Tamlyn—Xtreme Trim™ (Recommended by James Hardie®), Color Flashing, and building products (http://tamlyn.com/)
Tamlyn—Xtreme Trim™ (Recommended by James Hardie®), Color Flashing, and building products (http://tamlyn.com/)

I got a box of samples today by FedEx (free, unsolicited samples).