PDA

View Full Version : Top of siding casement trim

Jeff Eastman
07-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Phillip Stojanik
07-14-2007, 07:37 PM
You are right that "projecting wood trim" (code language) should have a continuous cap flashing installed above it.

Still, what you show in the picture is a pretty well sheltered piece from above and "looks" like it might even be a fiber cement product and not wood.

My guess is that you will have found bigger fish to fry at that house and that you would not be doing yourself or your client harm by just moving on to the bigger things.

James Duffin
07-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Put it in the report but not in the summary.

Phillip Stojanik
07-15-2007, 03:21 AM
Put it in the report but not in the summary.

This if off topic for the thread but I am totally against summaries for an inspection report. I NEVER provide a summary to my report. I always try to write a concise and uncluttered report but my objectrive for my target audience is never taylored toward the laziest reader.

In my opinion the entire report is pertinent, should be of substance, and should be read word for word by the buyer who is potentially about the make the largest expenditure of their life.

Cheat sheets, cliff notes, or a quickie summary should not enter into this equation during the critical decision making process by the buyer!

Yes I realize that many real estate agents out of shear laziness like to see short, quick, and abbreviated reports before they cash that commission check. I am just not into providing it for them. The buyer (who ultimately writes my paycheck) has to live with their decision thereafter and deserves better than an abrieviated report.

John Arnold
07-15-2007, 05:02 AM
Here in PA the law says the inspection to find "material defects", so at the end of the report I list and summarize what I consider to be the material defects, but I also indicate that this is somewhat subjective, that the client's priorities may differ, and that, of course, the client should read the entire report. I don't have a problem with separating out the life-threatening furnace from the tub drain control that isn't working.

Jim Luttrall
07-15-2007, 07:57 AM
I agree with you Phillip, no summary for me. But then I go back to the day before computer generated reports when I wrote everything out on a 4-part carbonless form and my report was shorter than most peoples summaries today. I still try to be concise without a lot of clutter, but the longer I do this, the longer my reports have gotten!

Richard Rushing
07-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Jim wrote: "I agree with you Phillip, no summary for me."

Same here.

RR

Scott Patterson
07-15-2007, 08:16 AM
This on a new construction home.

Should not the top of the casement trim at the corner wall of the sidin have a flashing cap installed? Would not water pond and go behind it?

I thinking that since the top of wood casement trim for windows are required to have a flashing cap, would not this situation?

It is not an issue with me. That trim is not part of a window or door, so header or cap flashing is not needed. It also looks like a cement based siding and trim.

My clients seem to like a summary, it helps them to zero in on the major problems quickly.