PDA

View Full Version : Improper ridge cap shingles?

Paul Kondzich
09-01-2010, 08:44 AM
I am assumming using these type of dimensional shingles on the cap is improper. All other areas of the roof was fine except for the area to the right of the ridge vent and one of the rear slopes. Roofers must have ran out of the cap shingles? I can see these acting like a sail when the big wind comes. Opinions.

Garry Sorrells
09-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Your right in wrong cap shingle. Dimensional shingle have their own capping shingle. Should be replaced with out question.

Not surprising that the roofer used the dimensional shingle rather than buy the capping shingle since they used a cheep ridge vent to also cut a cost corner.

C.Johnson
09-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Correct, improper use of materials, dimensionals are not designed for use as capping. A color matched 3-tab shingle can also be used for the cap

Garry Sorrells
09-01-2010, 11:04 AM
C.J.
Yes 3 tab is a cheaper way but finding the 3 tab in the same weight/yrs rating is the problem. When looking at a dimensional shingled roof many miss the use of 20yr shingle as a cap when used with a 40yr field shingle.

John Kogel
09-01-2010, 12:49 PM
C.J.
Yes 3 tab is a cheaper way but finding the 3 tab in the same weight/yrs rating is the problem. When looking at a dimensional shingled roof many miss the use of 20yr shingle as a cap when used with a 40yr field shingle.Right. I have some example pics here. The good part is, it is not too hard to make repairs.

Paul Kondzich
09-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate it as always.