PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what gauge these are?

Andy Jarchow
09-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Hello all,

Any idea what gauge these aluminum main wires feeding the main panel are?

They are in a 150 amp box with 150 amp main breaker.

Thank you!

Jim Port
09-08-2010, 12:01 PM
The minimum size to properly serve a 150 amp service would be 2/0 AL.

Roger Frazee
09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
They look like 1/2" to me ...:)

Seriously I think Jim has the best answer . I'm not real sure what the HI's use to determine a wire size if they can't see the awg on the outer covering. Is there any particular reason you suspect the wire size being incorrect...?

Andy Jarchow
09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
They look like 1/2" to me ...:)

Seriously I think Jim has the best answer . I'm not real sure what the HI's use to determine a wire size if they can't see the awg on the outer covering. Is there any particular reason you suspect the wire size being incorrect...?

Hello,

I go by what size they appear to be. To me they look like they could be 1/0.

I should get some of the sizes I'm not as familiar with to compare. I checked with a sparky several month ago but he never got back to me.

Thank you all!

ken horak
09-08-2010, 04:26 PM
completely impossible to tell the awg of a electrical conductor in a picture.
Unless it is a close up and actually shows the awg size printing on the cable, other then that it is a 100% total guess

Andy Jarchow
09-08-2010, 04:31 PM
completely impossible to tell the awg of a electrical conductor in a picture.
Unless it is a close up and actually shows the awg size printing on the cable, other then that it is a 100% total guess

No awg on the wire. I was hoping a sparky would be able to compare the main feed wires in the pic to the branch wires and give me an educated guess. It was worth a try.

Thank you all