PDA

View Full Version : Range distance from door

Greg Frazier
09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Is there a rule for how close a range can be to an exit door. The one I saw today was obviously moved during a remodel. It is about 4 inches from the exit door so a pot could be knocked off if the handle stuck out. Thanks.

Rick Cantrell
09-09-2010, 06:21 PM
No can't think of any requirment.
However you may want to include it in the report.
Can the door open if the oven door is also open?

Greg Frazier
09-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I included a comment about safety. The range door doesn't impact the back door.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
09-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes...would you believe that the National Gas Code requires a 12" minimum counter space on either side of a range location.

Really? Which Code? What's the citation?

That concept is news to me, that's for sure, for a free-standing gas fired cooking appliance, residential, range, 12" both sides, really?? its required??

I'd like a reference and edition date please, that is one I'd like to review.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
09-10-2010, 09:27 PM
My apologies for not quoting details that are specified under one of the three NFPA 54, 58 or 101 Articles that contain the specifics for requirements for appliance equipment and related accessories that include installations. NFPA/U.S. Fire Administration requirements for installation and following manufacturer's instructions codes exist.
I no longer have a NFPA membership but anyone that does can access the codes available on NFPA (http://www.nfpa.org).

NFPA affords FREE viewing of their published current codes, one only has to register with a valid email address and verify it - this limited membership and access is FREE and doesn't expire.

NFPA 54 (National Fuel Gas Code or NFGC), 2009 edition, is on-line and available for FREE viewing mode only at NFPA.org.

There is no such requirement for listed residential cooking equipment in the National Fuel Gas Code, as you have claimed, for adjacent horizontal counterspace.

A floor supported free-standing gas range horizontal clearance to combustibles at cook top height is measured from the center of the open flame burner out - and is indicated on the manufacturers' instructions (this is specified in NFPA 54 but not as to distance). There are clearances from combustibles horizontal for open flame broilers/grills but again no requirement for adjacent countertop space for free standing ranges in the NFGC.

There is no such 12' horizontal clearance in NFPA 54 either. Now commercial - to combustible horizontal, not even that for listed equipment not even CLOSE - UNLISTED commercial "food prep" equipment - its greater clearance from combustibles horizontal. Possibly you are confusing clearances from corner walls and combustibles from top out but again not 12" AFAIK.

You claimed it was in the NFGC (NFPA 54) - its not in 2009, wasn't in 2006 AFAIK its something you may have invented.

Since the documents you now reference (NFPA 58 & Life Safety 101) are also freely available for viewing at NFPA.org - please provide the citations to back up your claim that adjacent minimum 12" counterspace is required.

erika krieger
09-11-2010, 01:23 AM
My apologies for not quoting details that are specified under one of the three NFPA 54, 58 or 101 Articles that contain the specifics for requirements for appliance equipment and related accessories that include installations. NFPA/U.S. Fire Administration requirements for installation and following manufacturer's instructions codes exist.
I no longer have a NFPA membership but anyone that does can access the codes available on NFPA (http://www.nfpa.org).

The mentioned NFPA standards are not referenced in the IRC for gas range installations or for much else, actually. So in jurisdictions enforcing the IRC, follow manufacturer's installation instructions- most give clearances of from 0" to 6" left and right of the cooktop to combustible construction.

Code reference:

G2447.4 (623.4) Range installation.

Ranges installed on combustible floors shall be set on their own bases or legs and shall be installed with clearances of not less than that shown on the label.

❖From the Commentary:

This section requires the installation of a domestic range using the legs or base provided by the manufac-
turer where the range is resting on a combustible surface. These supports were part of the test set-up when the range was tested and as such must be included in the installation to ensure compliance with the listing. Clearances behind and to the sides of the range must also comply with the listing.

There's similar language in the Mechanical chapters that will cover electric ranges.

Back to the original question about minimum distance from the range to an exit door, there is none. And I'm guessing that the kitchen door probably isn't the "exit" door anyway. That's usually the "front" entry door.

By the way, that pot handle sticking out is a problem whether there is a door nearby or not, and it's not solved by any code book.

Rick Hurst
09-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Searching "pot handle" clearance requirements...:rolleyes:

H.G. Watson, Sr.
09-11-2010, 10:13 AM
H.G. Watson, Sr.,
You are accurate to existing codes that I mentioned and by my own search, not being able to find the data I so blatantly remembered, recant the statement that I made without having a substantiation.

There are many industry requirements and somewhere in my pile of safety specs and architectural data, has the key to where I went wrong. Thanks for your feedback.

Ben Jacks,

I suspect you have co-mingled or confused the rules regarding area, length, depth, minimum requirements for receptacle/outlets to kitchen countertop areas as measured, orphaned or not, as to when/where countertop accessible receptacles (fed by small appliance circuits) are required to be placed/spacing and when they are not) - Electrical code (NEC, NFPA 70).