PDA

View Full Version : Direct Vent Located Below Bedroom Window

Bruce Breedlove
07-15-2007, 06:55 PM
I could not find anything specifically prohibiting locating a direct vent below an operable window. Can anyone tell me if this arrangement is OK?

The fireplace is a pre-fab Heat-N-Glo model SL-750TR-C with gas logs. The direct vent is located about 3' below and slightly over from an operable bedroom window.

Dom D'Agostino
07-15-2007, 09:14 PM
The listed clearance requirement is 12 inches.

See page 36 of the SL750 Install Guide (http://www.grillandhearth.com/images/Heat-N-Glo-SL-Series-Install-Manual.pdf):

Bruce Breedlove
07-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks, Dom. I guess I should have tried a bit harder to find that info.

Bob Harper
07-15-2007, 09:58 PM
clearance is fine. However, the way they installed that trap cap is not. It was installed after the siding instead of being installed against the sheathing. This will eventually leak. You should recommend it be cut into the siding and caulked on 3 sides leaving the bottom open to drain against the drainage plane. There is a flange along the top of the base pan that must be hooked up under the housewrap.

Was this unit added on after initial construction? Appears so. However, sometimes during construction, the siding monkeys will pull the termination then reinstall it upside down. They also love to lower their pump jacks onto it ripping them off the wall.

FYI- on HHT terminations, clearances are measured from the trapezoid portion and not the base pan itself.

HTH
Bob

Bruce Breedlove
07-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Bob,

The direct vent was installed during original construction. The house was built in 2004. There was evidence of repairs around and below the direct vent (additional nails in siding and paint touched up). There was also evidence of a leak at the ceiling of the garage just inside the exterior wall and below the horizontal run of the metal chimney (water stains and small drain holes poked through drywall ceiling).

From what you are saying their repairs were not done correctly. I'll let my client know. Thanks for your input.

Brian E Kelly
07-16-2007, 02:53 PM
In my area this is not proper as the vent of a gas fired unit must be at least 4' from any window or opening. As you stated it was only 3' from the window. I would write this up as improper clearences as per local gas company's requirements.
The installation instructions may state that it is OK but local "codes" superseed the installation insturctions on the venting. I should say local gas companys regulations require the 4' clearences.

Bob Harper
07-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Brian, double check that local ordinance. Make sure it isn't just a mis-interpretation as Fritz pointed out. Direct vents are listed and do not follow the code section on mechanical draft systems.

So Bruce, was this installed by the huge local HHT distributor?? I spent a week with them last Spring working our way out from Denver to Castle Rock. Roasted around noon then finished up in a blizzard that same afternoon. Interesting weather you have!

I'll bet the installer did install this termination originally only to be removed by the siding guys. Then, they sent a guy back out to slap it up against the side of the house and nuke it with caulk. This WILL eventually leak.