PDA

View Full Version : Backflow

Rick Cantrell
09-16-2010, 05:16 PM
I took a class on backflow testing and passed the certification today.

I forgot to ask if Lisa has an app for that.;)

H.G. Watson, Sr.
09-16-2010, 06:21 PM
And is it free? (Then again, what, really IS free?).

Rick Hurst
09-16-2010, 08:33 PM

Mr. Waton,

I found these on the web for you that claim they are free. Sounds a bit sappy I know. But you asked.:)

Smiles, compassion, bed time stories, honesty, friends, hugs, support, kindness, a walk on a beach, growing, belief, glimpsing a sunrise, holding a new born baby, comfort, shooting stars, listening to the wisdom of our elders, seeing a butterfly, calling a sibling, breathing deeply, looking into the eyes of our beloved, singing happy birthday, gratitude, passion, coloring with a child, the flickering of fireflies, listening to awaken us to dawn, farts, hope, standing up for something good, caring, sunsets, sharing a poem, good memories, learning something, forgiveness, lovely dreams, laughter, tenderness, love songs, decency, a pat on the back, sharing a special treat, sleeping in a soft bed, family, acceptance, accomplishment, sitting by a fire in winter, finding a seashell, dedication to a cause, moonlight, compassion, finding animals in the clouds, listening to the questions of a child, clear water, forgiveness, bubble baths, children's recitals, flowers, love making, silence, snow angels, starfish, dancing, devotion, making a difference, God.

Jon Errickson
09-16-2010, 08:57 PM
I wasn't entirely sure what backflow testing was, so I Googled it and it seemed like backflow testing should be in the Plumbing section, but i'm a newer home inspector... So what kind of backflow testing is related to environment, pests, health and safety?

(I'm not trying to be sarcastic, although I enjoyed the list of free things you can find on the net.)

Dave Burch1
09-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Rick,
I took the class when I was in NC. Since then I have moved to Maryland. If you are interested, I have a new Backflow Preventer tester that was used twice. Let me know and I can send pictures and info.

Dave

Rick Cantrell
09-17-2010, 03:40 AM
Quote:

Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/images/ca_evo/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/environmental-pests-health-safety-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/21672-backflow-post144885.html#post144885)

With many things that are free, they are hardly worth the cost.
No, not free.

"I wasn't entirely sure what backflow testing was, so I Googled it and it seemed like backflow testing should be in the Plumbing section, but I'm a newer home inspector... So what kind of backflow testing is related to environment, pests, health and safety? "

Jon
Yes, the backflow device is connected to plumbing, however the EPA mandates the use of and testing of backflow devices. Thats why I put the post in the environmental section. Maybe it would have been more appropriate in plumbing though.

"if you are interested, I have a new Backflow Preventer tester that was used twice. Let me know and I can send pictures and info."

Dave
Thanks. Wish I had known sooner, I have already purchased one.

Terry Moore
09-17-2010, 04:02 AM
Rick,
I took the class when I was in NC. Since then I have moved to Maryland. If you are interested, I have a new Backflow Preventer tester that was used twice. Let me know and I can send pictures and info.

Dave

Hey Dave, sent you an email. I may be interested in the back flow tester let me know.
thanks
terry

Rick Cantrell
06-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Just an update

I had an apt complex call me to test all the backflow preventer's.
Tested 6 of 12 already.

Not very hard to do, and takes less than 30 minutes to test each one.
Only reason I mention this is because backflow testing is mandated by most states, and thought some of you might be interested.

Jerry Peck
06-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Not very hard to do, and takes less than 30 minutes to test each one.
Only reason I mention this is because backflow testing is mandated by most states, and thought some of you might be interested.

Florida mandates it too, but the tester must be certified and a plumber (as I recall).

Rick Cantrell
06-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Certified yes
Plumber, I don't think so, not for testing.

Jerry Peck
06-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Certified yes
Plumber, I don't think so, not for testing.

Not so fast there with the "I don't think so, not for testing"

Course - UF TREEO Center (http://www.treeo.ufl.edu/course.aspx?c=20)

(red text is mine for highlighting)

Certification and Accreditation
The UF-TREEO Center only issues Certificate of Attendance and Certificates of Completion.

The TREEO Center does NOT issue backflow licenses.

Certified Backflow Prevention Assembly Testers must check with their local water purveyor to find out what other requirements are necessary. Some water districts may require the backflow tester to also be a State licensed plumbing contractor, while other water suppliers may require the backflow tester to be a licensed plumber and certified repair technician.

Florida Statutes require any person installing or repairing a backflow prevention assembly for a customer be a state licensed plumbing contractor. See 2007 Florida Statutes: http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0489/PART01.HTM (http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0489/PART01.HTM)

Florida Statutes require any person installing, testing, or repairing a backflow prevention assembly on a fire protection system be a state licensed fire sprinkler contractor. See 2007 Florida Statutes: http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0633/Sec061.HTM (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0633/Sec061.HTM)

Rick Cantrell
06-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I did say testing, not installation or repairs.
In Flordia looks like it's up to the local water supplier as to if being a plumber is required or not.
In Georgia I am certified to test but not install or repair.

Jerry Peck
06-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I did say testing, not installation or repairs.
In Flordia looks like it's up to the local water supplier as to if being a plumber is required or not.

And I did highlight testing ... in addition to installation and repairs.

Yes, it is up to the local water supplier, and many *require* the certified *tester* to be a plumber. Which is what I said to start with. ;)

Rick Cantrell
06-02-2011, 07:40 PM
"Yes, it is up to the local water supplier, and many *require* the certified *tester* to be a plumber. Which is what I said to start with. ;)"

Actually you said: Bold added
Florida mandates it too, but the tester must be certified and a plumber (as I recall).

The difference is;
it does not look like Florida requires a tester to also be a plumber
but some water suppliers likely do.

Jerry Peck
06-03-2011, 07:08 PM
"Yes, it is up to the local water supplier, and many *require* the certified *tester* to be a plumber. Which is what I said to start with. ;)"

Actually you said: Bold added

The difference is;
it does not look like Florida requires a tester to also be a plumber
but some water suppliers likely do.

You mean, as in ... :p

Florida mandates it too, ...

Florida does mandate testing.

... but the tester must be certified and a plumber (as I recall).

And most of the water authorities when I've been require you to be a plumber too.

I think that says the same thing. :D

JB Thompson
06-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm fairly certain that children's recitals, love making, and flowers aren't technically free. :D

MARVIN TOWNSEN
06-03-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm fairly certain that children's recitals, love making, and flowers aren't technically free. :D

YEAH AND FAMILY COST ME A FORTUNE:D