PDA

View Full Version : Girder/Pier bearing surface

Greg Jenkins
09-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Looking for info./documention on the required bearing surface between a Girder and a pier.

Brandon Whitmore
09-16-2010, 08:41 PM
The only thing I can think of is the 3" bearing requirement onto masonry. I don't deal with CMU piers in this area, so someone else will chime in with better info. I'm sure.
Those shims look pretty pathetic.

David Valley
09-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Greg,

Those appear to be wood shims which are not allowed.

These images may help you...

Vern Heiler
09-17-2010, 04:29 AM
Looking for info./documention on the required bearing surface between a Girder and a pier.

You might want to check code requirement for solid top cap or grouting of the pier.

Here is an excerpt from:

NC Department of Insurance
Office of the State Fire Marshal - Engineering Division

The following guidelines will apply:
1. Plates would have to meet the requirement of Section R506.2 for bearing surface as well as the requirement for treated wood in Section 323.
2. The minimum width of a plate must be the width of the girder that is being supported.
3. The maximum depth of a plate is restricted to 1-1/2" because of the available heights of standard masonry.
4. The plate material must be a minimum compressive strength equal to the wood girder material.
5. Horizontal forces are not resisted at the plate location.

Hope this helps. Note that this is interpretation of NC codes.

Raymond Wand
09-17-2010, 04:35 AM
They look like steel plate and are not wood. Bearing should be 3.5". And the blocks are oriented wrong.

Vern Heiler
09-17-2010, 04:41 AM
They look like steel plate and are not wood. Bearing should be 3.5". And the blocks are oriented wrong.

If the girder is 5" then the shims must be no less than 5".

What's wrong with the orientation?

Raymond Wand
09-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Vern,

I stand corrected about the orientation, I withdraw that comment, haven't had my second cup of coffee yet. ;) Thanks for pointing that out.

Vern Heiler
09-17-2010, 04:53 AM
Vern,

I stand corrected about the orientation, I withdraw that comment, haven't had my second cup of coffee yet. ;) Thanks for pointing that out.

Good morning Raymond,
Just finished my third. Now I'm going to quiver my way to first inspection.

Greg Jenkins
09-17-2010, 05:27 AM
The shims are metal and the piers are short enought that I don't believe grouting is required. I was also going with the 3 inch bearing but wasn't sure if this applied to piers or end bearing of the girder only.

Art Dotson
09-17-2010, 11:15 AM
I would expect a bearing point at least as square as the girder width. Assuming a 3 ply girder.....4 1/2 x 4 1/2. There is a butt joint in at least one ply....both members of that ply should be adequately supported. Shims aren't mentioned in the IRBC except in beam pockets in the foundation walls. It is assumed that the pier height will be correct.

Art Dotson
Construction Code Services, LLC
permitexpeditors.com (http://www.permitexpeditors.com)

Vern Heiler
09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
The shims are metal and the piers are short enought that I don't believe grouting is required. I was also going with the 3 inch bearing but wasn't sure if this applied to piers or end bearing of the girder only.

Greg I took this from the bulk.resorce.org site, so graciously given to us by Gunner. I took what I think is pertinent from the WV site.

"1805.5.7 Pier and curtain wall foundations. Except in
Seismic Design Categories D, E and F, pier and curtain wall
foundations are permitted to be used to support light-frame
construction not more than two stories in height, provided
the following requirements are met:
3. Piers shall be constructed in accordance with Chapter
21 and the following:
3.3. Hollow piers shall be capped with 4 inches
(102 mm) of solid masonry or concrete or the
cavities of the top course shall be filled with
concrete or grout."